All natural lemon Shandy/Radler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BakerBrew

Reaction score
Hello everybody. This my first post on HBT as a young enthusiastic brewer! I welcome all advice!

Today I brewed a Shandy/Radler, and was wondering what you think about this recipe and how it could turn out.

3.0 lbs Extra Light DME
2.0 lbs Wheat DME
1.0 lb Crystal 10L
0.5 lb. Orange Blossom Honey
-added after initial ferm subsides

1.0 oz Ger. Hallertau 2.7% AA 60 min
0.5 oz """ 10 min
0.5 oz """ 0 min

WLP001 California Ale yeast

1.0 oz Sweet orange peel (dried). 5 min
1.0 oz Lemon peel (dried). 5 min
1.2 oz Frozen lemon peel. 5min
1 Whirlfloc tablet. 15 min

I froze a lemon solid and once thawed slightly I broke the peel from the meat and let it thaw thaw to release aromatics.
I then peeled 2 more organic lemons and froze them. These three peeled, frozen lemons will be thawed and broken up to be added in the bottling bucket. The honey will be added 5-6 days after pitching the yeast (which was pitched at 70F.)

5 gal batch
O.G. = 1.045
Est. ABV = 4.8% - 5.0%.

Thoughts? Has anyone done something similar with this method of adding lemons?

After doing a bit of research on how to best add lemon to a beer for a shandy, it seemed that people got best results from unsweetened lemon kool aid packets. But the thought of adding kool aid to my first shandy really irked me, so the solution of freezing the organic lemons and adding at bottling sounded much more appealing.

Could this make the beer to sour or tart from the frozen lemon? Will only 3 lemons be enough?

Back