All my friends try to make 10% beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Formito

Reaction score
So I'm sure that a lot of other people get this too but I wanted to hear what others thought. I have friends who want to make beer so they do something easy like the woot deal on mr. beer for a first batch(no clue which style)...... but they double or triple the sugar added so they can get a 10% batch that will, in my opinion, never ferment out and will stay pretty sugary. The best I could tell them would be to maybe dilute or add more of a better yeast to drive it down. Either way it would need to age a while and would probably never lose all of that alcohol burn.

Anyone else have to deal with this, maybe with better advice?

There are good beers that can be made that are 10% alcohol and above. Not just by tripling the sugar in an existing beer recipie.

I wouldn't give a rats behind what my friends want or do. I brew beer that comes out in the high 4's to mid 5's for ME. I don't like to drink 2 beers and feel the effects of the alcohol to quickly. I like being able to enjoy a few beers and not get drunk.

Most get into this hobby to enjoy the beers they brew. Not to up the alcohol to get drunk faster. I think your friends are a little misguided in their "quest".

Gary

Probably never completely ferment due to yeast being unable to stand the high ABV. Best to get them to buy a brew kit that has the ABV they are after and make sure they pitch a good strong starter that will be able to survive the high alcohol content. Otherwise they are going to have some sweet girly brew with an unpredictable flavor and carb. Sooner or later they will figure it out when there beer consistently tastes wrong and your is right on the money. Good luck changing anybodies minds, it just doesn't happen easy, they have to learn the hard way for the lesson to have meaning.
Bob

Yeah,a properly done big beer costs money & time. I'd rather have my usual ones that go from 4.5% to 5.9%. Then I can enjoy a few & not be cross eyed three sheets to the wind burnttoastedwastedfriedarmedandhammered.:drunk:

Trying to make a highly alcoholic beer from a mr beer kit by dumping a bunch of sugar, is going to produce nothing more than cidery rocket fuel. It might get you ****ed up ass over tea ketle, but it will more than likely leave you with a nasty headache as well.

If you want a strong beer, don't choose a normal gravity beer and decide that since you read about boosting gravity by adding more sugars to just add more sugar, choose a beet of the grav you want, just like if you wand a peach beer, don't choose a non fruit beer recipe and try to "figure out" how to add the fruit...get a kit or recipe that has everything you need in the right quantities you need. Recipes are about a BALANCE between flavors, bitterness, aromas, what have you, and until you get a few batches under your belt, and learn the fundamentals, stick with the already proven and balanced recipes. That way you don't have the extra step of trying to figure out what went wrong if the beer doesn't taste good.....if the recipe or kit already tastes good (and they would have gone through tastes tests and ALREADY before you got to them- you know they are already good, if not award winning beers, if you went with a kit or book recipe, they have been vetted) if there is something not right, you will have an easier time trying to figure out what went wrong in terms of your brewing PROCESS, not because you went off the ranch and on top of trying to actually learn to brew, you also through a bunch of crap into the equation.

Beer recipes are a balance...and if you add to one variable, that will affect other parts of it...For example if you decide to raise the gravity of a balanced beer...a beer where the hops balance out the sweetness...and you raise the maltniness of it without also balancing the hops, then your beer may end up being way too cloyingly sweet. Or if you just add sugar willy nilly it could become overly dry, or cidery.

At this stagemost folks trying to do it don't know enough yet, and they won't learn just by jacking a recipe o your first time out of the box. Don't start altering recipes on your first batch, or else you're gonna be posting a thread titled, "Why does my beer taste like I licked Satan's Anus after he ate a dozen coneys?" And we're not going to be able to answer you, because you've screwed with the recipe as well as maybe made a few noob brewer mistakes that typically get made, and neither you, nor us, are going to be able to figure out what went wrong. Because there's too many variables.

Just brew a couple batches and learn from them, and read books about recipe creation before you start messing around. It's not about tossing stuff into a fermenter and seeing how it turns out.

Besides getting trashed isn't most of our goals, it's about making great tasting beers. Regardless of the gravity.

Yes I have a 14.5% abv barleywine that I brewed that has a 150 ibu bitterness and was made with 50 year old honey. But I didn't just dump a bunch of sugar into to get to some gravity. It was a special recipe that took a lot of work, and some brewing tricks like decoction mashing to do it.

It's got a nice balance to it, BUT it will take another 4 years til it's going to get drunk (I brewed it for my 50th birthday)

But at the opposite end of the spectrum, I'm on an English Bitters/Milds kick the last month or so, I've been digging the complexity and flavors of beers in the 3-5% abv range.

A lot of new brewers who come on here thinks it's all about making big beer.
But most of them don't know how to do it....

If you want to make strong beers, learn to make GOOD beers first.

Tell them to buy beer from Alesmith. 3/4 of the beers they make are 10-12%. They mask the flavor extremely well, and they are very drinkable. I'm currently on a quest to brew higher ABV beer as well. I just did a batch of bavarian hef at almost 7%. Which is fairly high for that type of beer and it turned out well..but it's definitely got the alcohol flavor.

In my opinion, it's not a good idea for beginners to jump into the 10-12% beers..

Making good beer is a balancing act. The body and flavor from the grain needs to balance with the bitterness of the hops and the alcohol content.

Too much or not enough body and flavor (per style) = nasty beer
Too much or not enough hops (per style) = nasty beer
Too much or not enough alcohol (per style) = nasty beer

There are styles and proportions that work, and there are styles and proportions that don't, simple as that. That's why practically all of the beer styles using existing grain, hops, and yeast have already been nailed down. The leg work has been done to figure out what proportions work.

You can't just add alcohol to a light lager and expect it to still taste like a light lager and just get you drunk faster. If that were the case, you could just add grain alcohol to your wort and not worry about fermenting. Hell, if the idea is efficiency of the drunk, why are your friends even messing with beer at all?

It's like cooking/baking. Everything has to be in a certain proportional range or else it tastes nasty. Adding 5 cups of sugar to a small batch of cookies is retarded. even if you like sweets. Putting 10 cups of spaghetti sauce over 1 cup of pasta is retarded, even if you like spag sauce. Putting 5 lbs of cheeze and 5 lbs of pepperoni on a small pizza is retarded, even if you like extra cheese and extra pepperoni.

Proportion and balance are the name of the game, not ABV.

-Tried and true recipe, or close enough
-Yeast built for big beers (high alcohol tolerance, high attenuation)
-Big starter
-Decent aeration (don't need O2 stones, but at least try to mix and splash)
-Yeast energizer
-Proper temps
-Lots of time and patience

Lol most of you are saying what I've been thinkin and it makes me laugh a little. I guess I just need to ease these guys into brewing with a little more coaching and hope that they listen. Its just funny how consistently my friends will try to make their first batch a monster, then get upset when it doesnt taste good.

Putting 5 lbs of cheeze and 5 lbs of pepperoni on a small pizza is retarded, even if you like extra cheese and extra pepperoni.

Proportion and balance are the name of the game, not ABV.

Funny you'd say that. I used to work at a couple of pizza places, and we were always instructed to reduce the amount of food put on the pizza based on how many toppings you add. For example, a large would have 55 pepperoni, but a pepperoni and sausage would only have like 35 and a cup of sausage. Toppings have a lot of moisture, and cause the pizza to cook improperly...but you get more bang for your buck when you buy less toppings :p We never had a single complaint about "too few toppings" but when ever we had a new person "hook a customer up" we'd get a complaint that the pizza was undercooked and floppy.

I agree that beer is the same way. If the OP's friends are looking for hooch to get drunk on...there are a lot of cheaper ways to do it without buying expensive malt and grains. I mean hell...juice, sugar, and turbo yeast will make rocket fuel.

Yes I have a 14.5% abv barleywine that I brewed that has a 150 ibu bitterness and was made with 50 year old honey. But I didn't just dump a bunch of sugar into to get to some gravity. It was a special recipe that took a lot of work, and some brewing tricks like decoction mashing to do it.

It's got a nice balance to it, BUT it will take another 4 years til it's going to get drunk (I brewed it for my 50th birthday)

50 year old honey? Dare I ask where you got it? lol How did it taste after all that time?

A fellow brewer donated it. His dad was an amateur bee keeper, and evidently there were jars all over his family home where his mom still lived. Whenever he'd go down to visit his mom, he'd dig through the basement or attic or garage and find all these jars.

Here's what it looked like.

59143_434129269066_620469066_5124440_7181222_n.jpg

It tasted like mollassesy honey.

The whole story of the brew is here.

Sharkman20 said:
50 year old honey? Dare I ask where you got it? lol How did it taste after all that time?

I think he meant "brewed it with MY 50-year-old honey" as in his wife. :)

Back