all / mostly extract smoked chocolate porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bregiz

Reaction score
I tried posting this in the recipe section but got 0 response.

Relative newbie here, hoping to delve into a porter,

so far I have got away with no mashing at all, but will take the next step if necessary.

does anyone have a recipe for an all extract or easy, mostly extract "chocolate smoked porter" that they would recommend?

Cheers in advance for you generous lending of your expertise.

I ****ing love you guys.

OK,

I have found this recipe online and was planning on making this minus the chillies.

3lbs Amber Dry Malt Extract
4lbs Dark Dry Malt extract
1lb Mutons Dark Malt Extract
1lb Black Patent Malt (grain)
1oz Galena Hops (bittering) @boil
1oz Tettnanger (flavor) @45 Min

4-6oz Raw Cacoa Nibs (in secondary) 4 days

Will that work? do i need to add anything to substitute for the absence of the chillies?

any tips of process and technique would also be very welcome :)

Check out the Porter recipes here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f126/

I think you can simplify the recipe quite a bit. Anything with 1 lb. of Black Patent Malt will be dark. You may get some of the smoky taste you want but I would be afraid to use that much and you could get an acrid bad taste. Here are some changes I would make:

Assuming a 5 gallon batch (6-7 gallon boil)

7lbs Light Dry Malt extract (any color is fine)
4 oz. 60L Caramel/Crystal Malt (grain)
4 oz. Chocolate Malt (grain)
2-4 oz. Black Patent Malt (grain)
1-2 oz. Peated Malt (grain) - more is not better
1oz Galena Hops (bittering) @boil
1oz Tettnanger (flavor) @15 Min (45 minutes won't leave much flavor)

Use an English or Scottish Ale yeast.

**Check out the recipes here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f126/

I haven't plugged this into a calculator like Beersmith or Brewtoad but play around with those. I can do that over the weekend if you haven't moved forward on brewing. Good luck and happy brewing!

I have already gone to teh brew shop and picked up ingrediants.

They didn't have alot of what teh recipie called for, so they substituted for other ingredients.

so I have in my arsenal:

1.7kg of black rock amber malt extract
1.7Kg of black rock dark malt extract
500g of dark unhopped spray malt
500g of some un named black malt
200g of cacoa nips
tettnang hops
nugget hops

and mangrove jacks craft series m07 british ale yeast.

$70 all up so far, so I wouldn't want to much to go to waste,

But if there are suggestions for improvements to the recipie I am all ears,
Kind of a little overwhelmed as to what to do with everything now :/

the LHBS did mention that they do have a pre hopped chocolate malt kit on their shelves...

I have a 10L pot, and a smaller 5L pot.

Also, my ingredients have changed from DME to mostly LME, so am not sure how this should effect my ratios.

Cheers for the help!

So, it looks like your larger pot is about 2.6 gallons (10 L) and your ingredients are in line for a 5 gallon batch (19 L). Ideally you would need a pot large enough for you batch size plus some room for extra water as some will evaporate. This would be about a 25 L (7 gallon) pot. But you can do a partial boil in the pot you have and top off what you can boil with water at the end to make up the difference. Here is a thread about partial boils.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/partial-boil-method-extract-brew-267062/

Using the ingredients and equipment you have here are the basic steps I would follow.

A. Steep your “500g of some un named black malt” in water that will fit in your 5 L pot.
o Taste your raw grains to see how roasted or bitter they taste. Consider adjusting the amount lower if they are very bitter.
o Bring your water (3-3.5 L – or about a gallon) and black malt grains to steeping temperature(~150 degrees F; ~65 C).
o Turn off the heat.
o Cover the pot and let it sit for 20-30 minutes to steep or make a tea.
o Remove the grains and cool your dark tea.
B. Add water (about 7-8L) to your 10L pot leaving room to add the 1.7 kg amber extract and some space to allow boiling without boiling over.
o Bring to a boil remove from heat or turn off.
o Add the 1.7 kg amber extract and mix it with the water.
• Bring back to a boil – watch and stir as it may foam up causing a boil over at the beginning.
o Add your bittering hops (20 g Nugget) at this time also.
• Boil for 45 minutes.
o Add your flavor hops (1 oz. Tettnanger)
• Boil for 15 minutes.
• Add the dark malt extract and mix as well as you can. This is your wort.

• Cool your wort by submersing your pot in water (you can add ice to the water) or with an immersion chiller.
• Add the chilled wort to your fermentor.
• Add the chilled ‘tea” from your steeped dark grains.
• Top off with water to bring you volume up to your batch size.
• Add your yeast (you should hydrate the dried yeast in a little water). Aerate by shaking or sloshing around your wort.
• Put on your airlock and let it ferment.

Hopefully/Assumption you already have a carboy or ale pail to use as a fermentation vessel. You will have to worry about carbonating and bottling in about 3 weeks. Pretty simple just add 100-125 g (4-4.5 oz.) of priming sugar to your fermented beer and siphon into bottles and cap them. Enjoy your efforts in couple more weeks after that!

The un named black malt I have been told is "Carafa"

After playing around with numbers in brewtoad I am thinking 200g may be a more appropriate amount.

From what I can tell brewtoad is telling me that this should put me right in the middle for the syle for colour and balance, but on the high side for IBU's and slightly over for OG FG and ABV (which I do not really mind to much ;)

if I put the nugget hops in for 30 minutes instead of 60, then that brings the IBU's down to middle of the range for the style, so I might consider doing that. What do you guys think?
The cacoa nips in secondary might add a bit of extra bitterness to the taste anyway (which I don't think brew toad is allowing for)

in this regard, would I be best just adding the cocoa nibs into the wash after they have been fermenting for about 2 weeks (and calling the third week secondary without any racking)

I hope to get started on this brew tonight. am about to boil some water and chuck it in the fridge for top up water.

I have had good success poring through a sieve for aeration, so think I will give that another go for this batch as well.

The un named black malt I have been told is "Carafa"

After playing around with numbers in brewtoad I am thinking 200g may be a more appropriate amount.

From what I can tell brewtoad is telling me that this should put me right in the middle for the syle for colour and balance, but on the high side for IBU's and slightly over for OG FG and ABV (which I do not really mind to much ;)

if I put the nugget hops in for 30 minutes instead of 60, then that brings the IBU's down to middle of the range for the style, so I might consider doing that. What do you guys think?
The cacoa nips in secondary might add a bit of extra bitterness to the taste anyway (which I don't think brew toad is allowing for)

in this regard, would I be best just adding the cocoa nibs into the wash after they have been fermenting for about 2 weeks (and calling the third week secondary without any racking)

I hope to get started on this brew tonight. am about to boil some water and chuck it in the fridge for top up water.

I have had good success poring through a sieve for aeration, so think I will give that another go for this batch as well.

Sorry about the multipul posts, The computer had a bit of a spasm.

Anyone know how to go about deleting the redundant ones? I can't find the delete command for the life of me!

I have also noticed that the 500g of dry dark malt extract is not really necessary, and without it my final ABV drops down to become more in line with a porter style. So i might take it out and drop the final volume down to 20L

I have a recipe for an Edmund Fitzgerald porter clone I got on here. As far as I'm concerned, its an excellent base for any flavor porter you want. Look it up, its a simple recipe, and I did the extract with specialties version, and it came out great!

brewed this up last night and the first few bubbles are just starting to trickle through teh airlock now.

here is my recipe and method so far for anyone interested. I am very much open to comments or recommendations for improvement.

Chocolate brown porter:

3 September:

1.7kg of black rock amber malt extract
1.7Kg of black rock dark malt extract
200g of Carafa black malt

170g of cacoa nips
20g nugget hops
30g tettnang hops

and mangrove jacks craft series m07 british ale yeast.

boil 10L of water, cool and set aside in fridge

put 2L and 200g of carafe malt into 5L pot, bring to 70*C then let steep for 45 minutes (put lid on and a towl around to insulate) temp dropped to 60*C
Strain through muslin cloth into 10L pot,
pro 2L more water into 5L pot and bring to 70*C, sparge (tea bag) grain and then leave for another 20 minutes.
remove bag and dispose of grain, set 2l of sparge water aside.

top up 10L pot to about 8L with water and bring to boil. take off heat and stir in 1.7kg of black rock amber malt extract. bring back to rolling boil (6 is a good setting to maintain rolling boil) and add 20g nugget hops. boil for 45 minutes. add 30g tettnang hops and boil for a further 15 minutes.
take off of heat and stir in 1.7Kg of black rock dark malt extract

Remove from heat and cool wart in a water bath to 32*C.
pour into ferm container through sieve aerating and removing any hops or remaining grain.
pour sparge water through sieve aerating and removing any grain.
Pour water from fridge through sieve to aerate to a total of 20L

SG was 1.054

temp was about 21*C

hydrate yeast in a starter container for 15 minutes with a splash of wart for sugars, mix in thoroughly, additional aeration through mixing for 5 minutes, then set in ferm chamber set for 19.5*C

I think all of your plans sound good. And i hope your brewing went smoothly if you got to it yesterday.

The Carafa (I, II or III/?) is dark but debittered malt. You will be fine with 200g or even some more.

The hops change from 60 to 30 minutes will be fine and it will lower the overall bittering if you throw in all of your Nugget hops.

I would add your cocoa nibs to allow for 10 days of 'dry hopping' with them. Any time after the active fermentation will be fine.

Let us know how it all turns out. I see now you did make another post or two.

looks like everything is going to plan as far as I can tell :)

The bubbling is slowing right down now, so I am going to take an SG reading this afternoon.

NOW, I also have a belgian ale kit ready to brew up and get fermenting, but the belgian ale yeast requires much higher temperatures then what the porter favours.

Should I bottle the porter before I add the belgian ale to the ferm chamber and hike up the temperature? or is it best to leave the porter aging for longer in the chamber despite the higher temperatures since the primary fermentation will be complete anyway?

The other option is to take the porter out of the chamber and expose it to fluctuating temps (say 10 - 22 *C)

Cheers for your help!

SG is about 1.024, SO a little way to go yet (hopefully)

it looks like your Port is on it's way. I wouldn't start worrying about your gravity yet. So what did you do about the Belgian Ale?

The belgian ale is still waiting in the wings.

I upped the temp to 21.5*C yesterday

and I checked the SG of the porter again today. It is down to 1.020 so I have added the 170g of cacao nibs to sit for another 4 days or so

after that I might take the porter out of the chamber and get the belgian ale started. Or if I do not see any more airlock activity I might take it out prematurely and let it sit at ambient temperature so that the belgian ale can get started.

We will see.

SG is still 1.020 :(

bottled today using 120g of dextrose dissolved in water in microwave for primer.

Fermented wart tasted good, although could have done with more chocolate character ( had a definite coffee tone to the flavour)

I have a party coming up in two weeks so will try a couple then, and then put the rest away to mature for another 3 - 6 months.

Now on to the belgian ale!

For those who are interested, This porter has turned out fantastic!

pulled a couple out early for my b day party (about 3 weeks in the bottle) just to sample them, and was getting hassled for more the rest of the night. (thankfully I stayed strong and the bulk are still in storage ageing.

Cant wait for these to reach prime age. They are really going to be something special. Hands down the best brew I have done yet.

Back