All IBUs from Whirlpool

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cajun_McChicken

Reaction score
Has anyone brewed an IPA with all the hop additions coming from whirlpool/steep additions? Is this a bad idea?

Thanks!

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.54 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.24 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.069 SG
Estimated Color: 9.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 63.8 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 81.8 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type %/IBU
12 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 85.7
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 7.1
1 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 7.1
2.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 30.0 Hop 12.8 IBUs
2.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 30 Hop 23.2 IBUs
2.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 30.0 Hop 27.8 IBUs
1.0 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35. Yeast

I can attest to the awesomeness of an Whirlpool based IPA. I havent tried doing ALL my hops in it, but +95% of them. See here and here

I would reduce the crystal though and up the whirlpool additions if you arent doing a bittering. Probably a good idea to increase the length of it too

I can attest to the awesomeness of an Whirlpool based IPA. I havent tried doing ALL my hops in it, but +95% of them. See here and here

I would reduce the crystal though and up the whirlpool additions if you arent doing a bittering. Probably a good idea to increase the length of it too

Cool thanks! Would you do multiple whirlpool additions or just dump it all in at knockout?

Also, based on what I've read, beersmith's IBU calculations will stop working for the whirlpool additions once the wort drops below 170F (since the AA will no longer be isomerizing) since they use an average whirlpool temp of 194F, so the longer the whirlpool the less reliable the numbers from the program.

I do my post boil additions in 2 parts. The flameout I figure gets a bit of bitterness and a great deal of flavor with some aroma. Then I wait till the wort drops to 180F or so before addint my second addition. I figure the second one gets almost no bitterness, some flavor, a lot of aroma. I choose where ym hops go accordingly

Latest posts

Back