all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vorlouf like crazy. It should look clear. Not hazy. If u skip a good vorlouf it can give funny taste in beer.

I agree with having a written plan before the brew. Have all your steps listed and the times and temps so you aren't running around trying to figure out what is next.

Vorlouf like crazy. It should look clear. Not hazy. If u skip a good vorlouf it can give funny taste in beer.

Just to clarify or correct the above statement - You don't vorlauf for beer "clarity" but to remove particulate grain matter. You can never vorlauf until the beer looks clear, it will always look hazy. You vorlauf until it no longer looks murky with grain particles in it. I typically vorlauf twice before this happens - two 16oz measuring cups worth.

Rev.

Take lots of notes during the brew session, particularly on volumes and temperatures relating to the mash and sparge. You'll need that info to calculate your efficiency and it will be helpful to identify any issues in that regard (or hopefully, what you did right and can repeat next time).

thanks for the advice. cant wait to do it. all i have ever done is cans and partials. The only problem with this beer is im going to lager it till october, so i wont know how i did till than lol!!!!

Don't panic. Carry a towel.

i needed mroe then one towel on my first day!! what a mess lol.. totally avoidable tho.. you should be fine as long as you know the basics.

make sure you have a way to cool your wort unless you plan on staying up until 3am to pitch your yeast

If you want to think clearly, go easy on the "have a homebrew" part.

brockettbrews said:
that is a problem i dont have a wort chiller. going to do an ice bath but it will take forever lol!!!

That's tough man. All grain with no wort chiller. I did that on my first batch 5 gallons of beer takes a lot longer to chill then 2 gallons. I ended up getting one for my next Natchez best thing I've ever done.

Can you make oatmeal? Then you can do all grain. Honestly it can be as complicated or as simple as you want to make it.

im going to try and make it simple lol!!! probally going to do it in two pots on the stove. need to get a propane burner, but i live in an apartment that doesnt allow grilling.

I don't have a wort chiller either, but approx 30 lbs of ice with water 3/4 of the way up the brew pot gets me under 70 in about an hour... Not perfect, but you find a way to work with what you have. I start my brew days around 9am and am finished by about 2pm. I also have to use the stove inside, but mine is gas and can get 6.5 gallons to a boil in about 30 minutes.

Darwin18 said:
Can you make oatmeal? Then you can do all grain. Honestly it can be as complicated or as simple as you want to make it.

Very good analogy. I can't tell you how many times i've thought about dumping some spent grain in a bowl with some cinnamon. It looks so tasty.

brockettbrews said:
im going to try and make it simple lol!!! probally going to do it in two pots on the stove. need to get a propane burner, but i live in an apartment that doesnt allow grilling.

Now that i've got my 3 tier all grain setup figured out with 50' of wort chiller, I can't imagine going back. It could be tough to do in your apartment with two pots, but don't worry. You just need to have a towel and a plan.

Let us know how it goes!

well i made three orders because i forgot some stuff, so i think the combined them and charged me again. I called them but they said they are checking there emails and they would get back with me.

LandoLincoln said:
Don't panic. Carry a towel.

This. Also, preheat your mash tun and heat more water than you think you'll need. A checklist for the first go round is helpful, too. Check the General Beer Discussion. There's a thread on there with a guy compiling his "Brewing Bible." there's a link to a very good all-grain brew day checklist.

how long should you preheat your mash tun??? i already made an oktoberfest all grain. saturday should be brewing a munich helles. it is alot more work than two cans lol!!!

a checklist is a great thing! i wasnt thinking, and had a few too many, my last brew day and didnt collect any of the first of the run off. never made that mistake... oh well we will see what happens...

brockettbrews said:
how long should you preheat your mash tun??? i already made an oktoberfest all grain. saturday should be brewing a munich helles. it is alot more work than two cans lol!!!

I heat my strike water about 10 degrees above my target, add it to the mash tun, put the lid on, and give it a good swirl. Then I wait for the water to cool to my strike temperature before doughing in. There's a great thread around here somewhere about preheating mash tuns.

Latest posts

Back