All grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok yeah thats what I was told but what all do I need to do it so far I have two carboys 6.5 gallons, funnel, filter, auto syphon a regular five gallon brew put, bottling bucket, so on so fourth for extract but what else to I need for all grain.

well first you need to determine if you want to fly sparge your grains or batch sparge. Read up on that and then get your mash tun.

From that decision you can then determine what type of manifold to use. You basically need to put in a manifold or false bottom in the cooler. These can be made with cpvc tubing. not pvc.

Mostly batch spargers will go with a rectangular cooler and fly spargers with a round cooler. You need a cooler that can hold a pretty constant temperature for at least 1 hour.

you should also get a hot liquor tank or some other means to collect your wort after sparging. You could always use a bucket then transfer it back to the boil kettle, but I find it easier to just collect my runnings in my boil kettle.

you'll need a much bigger boil pot (8 gallons at a minimum) and probably a propane burner (unless your stove can boil 6 or 7 gallons properly.)

A turkey fryer set can provide both of these things.

from there it can get as expensive as you want it to. It sounds like you have most of what you need. Zero in on a mash tun and hot liquor tank.

Like walker said, get a bigger brew kettle, then use your 5 gallon pot as your hot liquor tank. For me I bought a used keg and cut the top off of it and had a fitting welded on.

when I went AG the only things I added on top of what I had for extract were a turkey fryer kit (had burner and a big brew pot <that I still use>) and a cooler (I went with a WallyWorld special for like $25 as they didn't have the round ones.

But together a drain manifold and off I went.

I used my old pot as my HLT and heated water in it first then dumped it to my cooler MLT...and heated the sparge water in it while the grain was converting.

I drained it all into my big pot...and off I went. It seemed a lot more "invloved" than it actually was when I was on your side of my first batch. After that first batch I had a "is that it?" moment.

Since then...the $$$ have flown to make my system "better" ...

Thanks a lot guys, yeah that helps, There is a store nearby called adventures in home brewing but there stuff tends to run a little on the pricey side so I will try to get the stuff at walmart and home depot and construct it myself. I am probably gonna by the propaine burner at the brew store though

actually I wouldn't buy the burner at the brew store. check amazon.com...they have great prices on the Bayou burners, and you can usually get free 'super saver' shipping which is a good deal considering those burners are like 20-30lbs to ship.

Home Depot usually has the round coolers to make a mash tun.

that just leaves a 8-10 gallon brew pot, putting a ball valve on it, and an immersion chiller made from copper tubing and a couple fittings.

Hoe Depot almost always has the Bayou classic burner and aluminum pot for about $35. I use the aluminum pot for actually cooking a Turkey or doing a lobster boil. Ive done the full boil in it once an even with anti-foaming agent it wanted to boil over but it can be done, just not big beers!

Latest posts

Back