All grain with a 30 qt turkey fryer pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mookie

Reaction score
Getting ready to do my first all grain batch in a couple of weeks. 5.5 gallon batch. My boil pot is a 30 quart turkey fryer. I would like to start with 7.0 gallons, but that really takes my pot to the top.

What I am thinking of doing, is starting the boil with about 5.5 gallon. Doing hop additions as needed, and adding the extra 1.5 gallons of wort to the boil pot as it boils down.

Goal is to have 5.5 gallons of boiled wort at the end of the boil (after 60 minutes). Has anybody else ever done it this way? Is there any issues?

Thanks,,

John:mug:

Not sure I understand... normally when you're doing a 5.5 gallon batch you only need about 6.5 for the boil, about a gallon will boil off in my experience in an hour... everyones environment will be different but... Why do you need more than 7.0 gallons? I'd say do about 6.5, there will be very little room but you'll get a full boil... but its your call.

my first all grain batches were in the same set up I am thinking.. I had a 30 qt aluminum pot and burner you get from the local box store for frying turkeys.

I boiled off 1 gallon pretty much to the "T" in that set up. I shot for 6.5 gallons and when I hit it ended up with 5.5 post boil.

FWIW

I use the same pot. I normally fill it up to within two inches of the top. You have to be there for the hot break, but it's fine after you get past that. Depending on boil off, I still usually get 5.5 gallons into the fermenter and that's leaving a good bit of break and hops behind.

I've never done what you propose.

Cool. I figured I would lose 1.5 gallons in 1 hour. This is going to be my first time with this set up, so I was not sure what to expect.

Will 6.5 gallons fit well enough to not have to worry too much about boil overs. I know I will still have to watch the hot break, but after that, will I be fine?

Mookie,

If it makes you feel more comfortable, you can certainly reserve a gallon of wort and add it back during the boil after the hot break. After you get a little experience, you will likely get more comfortable going to the rim.

I've been using my 30 quart turkey fryer pot for the last 4-5 years with no issues. Like other's have said, my preboil volume is usually 6-6.5 gallons. And with fermcap-s there's even no risk of boilovers.

Getting ready to do my first all grain batch in a couple of weeks. 5.5 gallon batch. My boil pot is a 30 quart turkey fryer. I would like to start with 7.0 gallons, but that really takes my pot to the top.

What I am thinking of doing, is starting the boil with about 5.5 gallon. Doing hop additions as needed, and adding the extra 1.5 gallons of wort to the boil pot as it boils down.

Goal is to have 5.5 gallons of boiled wort at the end of the boil (after 60 minutes). Has anybody else ever done it this way? Is there any issues?

This will work fine. I do nearly the same thing. I account for about .5 gallon every half hour for my boiloff.

90 minute boil for example... I get the entire 6.5 gallons in my 30qt pot. I bring it to a boil. Not a rolling boil either, all you have to do is get it to start boiling. Then, very quickly, I use a pitcher to transfer 1.5 gallons to a second pot that is about half the size of my 30 qt. Keep the second pot warm but, don't boil it. Now, you have a very manageable 5.0 gallons in your main pot and 1.5 gallons in your 'reserve' pot. Every 15 minutes or so, just add some of your reserve back in to your main. Don't add so much that your main stops boiling though...

Jiggs.....excellent to see somebody that thinks like me.

But, why do you bring the whole thing to a boil together then separate? I was going to bring as much as I could to a boil in the turkey roaster, and keep the rest warm or possibly even boiling in a different pot, and add it over as you did every 15 minutes or so.

Revvy, from what I have seen on this board......you seem to really know you stuff, so this question is probably a moot point anyways. I probably will never need to split the batch, but I am glad to see that others have done this if I end up with a greater volume than will fit in the pot and need to boil it down.

Thanks to all,

John

Jiggs.....excellent to see somebody that thinks like me.

But, why do you bring the whole thing to a boil together then separate? I was going to bring as much as I could to a boil in the turkey roaster, and keep the rest warm or possibly even boiling in a different pot, and add it over as you did every 15 minutes or so.

I seperate it so that I have more room in the top of the pot for boilover control. Once I get it to a boil, I seperate it then add hops. If I try it with 6.5 gallons in the pot, they'll wind up on the floor... :)

I'm sure the whole fermcap thing would be a hell of a lot easier but it is the ONE thing that I overlook at the lhbs time and time again.

I took a 120mm powered fan a couple of weeks ago and rigged it up about a foot above my brew pot so that it blows down onto the wort. I have done two batches with it running and it has really helped in keeping boilovers under control. I need to get daring enough to try it with the pot at full volume.

Back