All Grain to Extract Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoSheaStl

Reaction score
I found a recipe I want to clone. Unfortunately, I don't have the means to brew "all grain." Is there a way to brew this recipe using an extract method?

Alright Already Amber

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 10.38
Anticipated OG: 1.060 Plato: 14.70
Anticipated SRM: 14.7
Anticipated IBU: 64.1
Brewhouse Efficiency: 86 %
Wort Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Formulas Used
Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Tinseth
Tinseth Concentration Factor: 1.30

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
77.1 8.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.038 3
4.8 0.50 lbs. Aromatic Malt Belgium 1.036 25
4.8 0.50 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2
4.8 0.50 lbs. Flaked Barley America 1.032 2
1.2 0.13 lbs. Roasted Barley America 1.028 450
2.4 0.25 lbs. Special B Malt Belgian 1.030 120
4.8 0.50 lbs. Crystal 60L America 1.034 60

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 oz. Centennial Pellet 10.50 37.6 60 min.
1.00 oz. Amarillo Gold Pellet 9.00 24.8 30 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.75 1.7 2 min.
1.00 oz. Amarillo Gold Whole 8.60 0.0 Dry Hop

White Labs WLP001 California Ale (or S-05)

Well, some of those grains must be mashed. So you could easily do a partial mash.

Keep the specialty grains the same, and add 2 pounds of two-row. Hold in 6 quarts of water at 150-155 for 45 minutes. Rinse grains by lifting out the grainbag(s) and pouring 170 degree water over it until you reach your boil volume. Add 3 pounds of DME. Bring to a boil, and add hops as indicated.

With 15 minutes left in the boil, add another 3 pounds of DME. Bring back to a boil, and continue the hop schedule.

What about this?

1.) Bring water up to 158F

2.) Add 1.5# Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt, .13# Roasted Barley America, .25# Special B Malt Belgian, and .50# Crystal 60L America to steeping bag, and let seit for 30 minutes.

3.) Remove steeping bag and add 8 lbs. light LME

4.) Add hops and continue with recipe.

Would this work?

What about this?

1.) Bring water up to 158F

2.) Add 1.5# Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt, .13# Roasted Barley America, .25# Special B Malt Belgian, and .50# Crystal 60L America to steeping bag, and let seit for 30 minutes.

3.) Remove steeping bag and add 8 lbs. light LME

4.) Add hops and continue with recipe.

Would this work?

Yes, but you've "lost" the flaked barley and aromatic malt, changing the beer. Adding an extra pound of carapils is NOT a good idea, though. Increasing the crystal that much is a big difference. It's now a different recipe.

Well, some of those grains must be mashed. So you could easily do a partial mash.

Keep the specialty grains the same, and add 2 pounds of two-row. Hold in 6 quarts of water at 150-155 for 45 minutes. Rinse grains by lifting out the grainbag(s) and pouring 170 degree water over it until you reach your boil volume. Add 3 pounds of DME. Bring to a boil, and add hops as indicated.

With 15 minutes left in the boil, add another 3 pounds of DME. Bring back to a boil, and continue the hop schedule.

Let me get this straight:

Instead of 8#s of two-row, I'm only adding 2#s?

Can I just combine all those grains into one bag?

So, I need to have the brew kettle at 55 degrees for 45 minutes (1.5 gallons), and beside that, I need to be heating an additional kettle of water (.5 gallons) up to 170? How would you suggest pouring the 170 over the grain bag w/out getting burnt?

What is the point of adding another 3 pounds of dry malt extract at 15 minutes? Just curious. Why not add all the extract after the specialty grains?

Also I'll be brewing a 5 gallon batch, not a 5.5 gallon batch like the recipe states. Will that change the beer dramatically?

Let me get this straight:

Instead of 8#s of two-row, I'm only adding 2#s?

Can I just combine all those grains into one bag?

So, I need to have the brew kettle at 55 degrees for 45 minutes (1.5 gallons), and beside that, I need to be heating an additional kettle of water (.5 gallons) up to 170? How would you suggest pouring the 170 over the grain bag w/out getting burnt?

What is the point of adding another 3 pounds of dry malt extract at 15 minutes? Just curious. Why not add all the extract after the specialty grains?

Also I'll be brewing a 5 gallon batch, not a 5.5 gallon batch like the recipe states. Will that change the beer dramatically?

Yes, the 2#s of two-row would be used in the grain bag with the other grains to convert them. You can use two bags if needed, so that the grain isn't packed tightly. It has to be loose. You'll want to keep it at 155 for 45 minutes (1.5 gallons plus the grain). You can do that in anything- a brewpot, your bottling bucket wrapped in a sleeping bag, a warm oven, etc, it doesn't have to be the brewpot necessarily.

An easy way to sparge (rinse) the grain bag is to lift it out and put it in a colander (like you use for spaghetti) over a pot and pour the water over. Or you can pick up the grain bag(s) and dunk them right into the gallon or so of 170 degree water.

For volumes, you'll start with 1.5 gallons for the mash/steep. The grains will absorb some of that, so if your boil volume is normally 2.5 gallons, you'll probably need 1.5 gallons for that "rinse" water. Then combine those runnings if doing it in different pots, and bring that to a boil.

The reason to split of the LME or DME is simply to avoid too much carmelization of the extract in such a small boil, making a less extract-y tasting beer and lighter (better) color. (Search out threads about "late extract addition").

That's fine to do 5 gallons, instead of 5.5 gallons. The recipe claims 86% efficiency, so I figured it for 5 gallons anyway when I did the calculations for the amount of DME to add.

Yes, the 2#s of two-row would be used in the grain bag with the other grains to convert them. You can use two bags if needed, so that the grain isn't packed tightly. It has to be loose. You'll want to keep it at 155 for 45 minutes (1.5 gallons plus the grain). You can do that in anything- a brewpot, your bottling bucket wrapped in a sleeping bag, a warm oven, etc, it doesn't have to be the brewpot necessarily.

An easy way to sparge (rinse) the grain bag is to lift it out and put it in a colander (like you use for spaghetti) over a pot and pour the water over. Or you can pick up the grain bag(s) and dunk them right into the gallon or so of 170 degree water.

For volumes, you'll start with 1.5 gallons for the mash/steep. The grains will absorb some of that, so if your boil volume is normally 2.5 gallons, you'll probably need 1.5 gallons for that "rinse" water. Then combine those runnings if doing it in different pots, and bring that to a boil.

The reason to split of the LME or DME is simply to avoid too much carmelization of the extract in such a small boil, making a less extract-y tasting beer and lighter (better) color. (Search out threads about "late extract addition").

That's fine to do 5 gallons, instead of 5.5 gallons. The recipe claims 86% efficiency, so I figured it for 5 gallons anyway when I did the calculations for the amount of DME to add.

Ok, so…

1.) Fill grain bag(s) with 2#s of two-row, along with my additional grains. Place them in a pot (1.5 gallons), and then stick them in the over, pre heated to 155 degrees. Note: I'll have to bring the water up to 155 degrees on the stove top first, before I stick the pot in the oven?

2.) Remove the pot from the oven, pull out the grain bag(s), and dunk them into my brew kettle (1.5 gallons) which is sitting at 170 degrees. Leave the bag in there for 10 minutes, while occasionally stirring.

3.) Pull out grain bag(s). Combine liquid from my first pot with the liquid in my brew kettle until I reach 2.5 gallons. Add 3 pounds DME, stir, then add my hops. With 15 minutes left, while my hops are still in there, add 3 more pounds of DME, stir, and then continue with the process.

Ok, so…

1.) Fill grain bag(s) with 2#s of two-row, along with my additional grains. Place them in a pot (1.5 gallons), and then stick them in the over, pre heated to 155 degrees. Note: I'll have to bring the water up to 155 degrees on the stove top first, before I stick the pot in the oven?

I'd bring the water to 165 degrees and then add the grains and stir well. Check the temperature- you should be in the 153-155 area. My oven doesn't go to 155, but if yours does that's ok I guess. I'd rather have the oven OFF so that it doesn't go higher, though. When you add the grainbag, stir, stir, stir, stir, stir. So that the grain is thoroughly wetted.

2.) Remove the pot from the oven, pull out the grain bag(s), and dunk them into my brew kettle (1.5 gallons) which is sitting at 170 degrees. Leave the bag in there for 10 minutes, while occasionally stirring.

Yes, but no need to "occasionally stir". Tea bag and dunk that baby- stir it like it owes you money. You want every piece of grain to give up its goodness. You don't have to wait 10 minutes, but you can if you want.

3.) Pull out grain bag(s). Combine liquid from my first pot with the liquid in my brew kettle until I reach 2.5 gallons. Add 3 pounds DME, stir, then add my hops. With 15 minutes left, while my hops are still in there, add 3 more pounds of DME, stir, and then continue with the process.

Make sure that you use ALL the runnings form the first pot, and then add the sparge runnings to it. Don't leave any wort behind! Top up with water if you need to reach your boil volume. Bring to a boil. Then add the 3 pounds DME and stir well. Bring back to a boil and add the first hops. Set your timer for 60 minutes, and follow the hops schedule. When there is 15 minutes left in the boil, take the pot off of the heat and add the rest of the DME. Use a whisk, as it will clump. Smash up the clumps with your spoon. Then bring back to a boil, and follow the rest of the hops schedule (I think you had some hops at 5 minutes?)

My answers are all in bold.

Thank you for being so patient with me :)

1.) Fill grain bag(s) with 2#s of two-row, along with my additional grains. Place them in a pot (1.5 gallons), at 165 degrees. Stir and wet grains, place lid on pot and let sit for 45 minutes. (Maybe I'll wrap the pot in a towel w/ the stovetop off. I think it should maintain it's heat for a while.)

2.) Pull out grain bag(s), and dunk them into my brew kettle (1.5 gallons) which is sitting at 170 degrees. Dunk and stir like crazy for 5 minutes.

3.) Pull out grain bags (I'll place them into a tray off to the side to collect any leaking liquid). Combine liquid from my first pot with the liquid in my brew kettle until I reach 2.5 gallons. Bring to a boil.

4.) Remove from burner, add 3 pounds DME, stir, and then back to a boil.

5.) Once I'm at a boil, add my hops at their listed times. With 15 minutes left, remove from burner, and add 3 more pounds of DME. Stir and break up clumps, and then add my hops with 5 minutes left.

6.) Chill my wart and continue with process.

Latest posts

Back