All grain to Extract conversion?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bweatherly

Reaction score
Is there a quick and dirty method for me to convert an All-grain recipe into something I can order in extract?

I usually just use a software program like Recipator (http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator) to calculate how much LDME + specialty grains would hit the target OG in the recipe. So if there's 10lbs of 2row in the recipe + other specialty grains, just plug in the specialty grains at 40% efficiency, then take a guess at the amount of LDME (6 lbs usually is about right) and then have the software calculate the OG. If it's higher than the recipe calls for, drop the LDME by .5 lbs and see if that gets you where you want. Reverse if the estimated OG is too low.

So would I use the same amount of specialty grains as called for in the recipe or are you saying at "40% efficiency" that I would only use 40% of the original called for amount. And would I steep the specialty grains before adding the LDME or would I want to order the specialty grains in extract form as well?

And wyzazz... I see the trial is only available for Windows. Is that just the trial that is Windows exclusive? Would the full version run on mac?

So would I use the same amount of specialty grains as called for in the recipe or are you saying at "40% efficiency" that I would only use 40% of the original called for amount. And would I steep the specialty grains before adding the LDME or would I want to order the specialty grains in extract form as well?

You would use the full amount of specialty grains called for in the recipe. 40% efficiency means that you're extracting 40% of the available sugars from the grains when steeping them, which effects OG.

Here's a link to an article (actually it's a link which contains a link to an article)http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/index.php?autocom=ineo&showarticle=97

Not quick and dirty but it will give you a good understanding and enable you to quickly and dirtily do it in future.

Software obviously is a good way to generate and convert recipes but understanding what the software is doing is a good thing.

Some recipes will be difficult/impossible to properly convert, some will be simple. Steeping specialty grains will go a long way to helping knock most recipes out.

Latest posts

Back