All-grain recipes "strike/sparge" h2o?? BIAB?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keqwow

Reaction score
Looking through some recipes to try with my BIAB all-grain setup. Can someone remind me exactly what the strike water volume vs sparge water volume is? How will this relate to a BIAB setup when I am looking at all-grain recipes?

Many (maybe most) BIAB brewers don't sparge at all. I seldom do; when I do, I just reserve 1-2 gallons of the total water volume, and dunk-sparge the bag for 10 minutes or so.

'Strike' water is the initial water which you use to mash you dry grains.

"Sparge" water is the heated water you will use to rinse the sugars from the grains once you drain your mash (strike) water from them (assuming you are doing a batch sparge).

If you are doing a traditional, full volume BIAB, you don't need to worry about 'strike' vs. 'sparge' water. You will want the sum of both of them for your 'strike' water.

Strike water is the volume of water to which the grains are added for mashing. Sparge water is the volume of water that is added to the grain after mashing to extract more sugar than came out with the original mash (strike) water. In "pure" BIAB, all the water is used for mashing, also known as full volume mashing. Many people do a modified BIAB where they only use a portion of the water for mashing, and then after draining the wort from the mash, add additional water to the grain (sparging) to extract more sugar. Sparging can be done by dunking the bag in a separate pot or bucket containing the sparge water, or the sparge water can be poured over the grain bag while it is suspended over the boil kettle.

I linked to a BIAB water calculator in your other thread.

Brew on :mug:

Back