All Grain Recipe - trying for sweeter lemon wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayInAmes

Reaction score
I'm trying to get a sweeter wheat, and a lemon/citrus taste. I was going to add lemon juice and zest in secondary (2-3 pounds of lemon, juiced and zested, NOT adding the pith), trying for a shandy type of flavor. Wondering if I'm on the right track.

Could I get a quick look? I went with crystal 30L because of color, and someone local suggested the caravienne. I mash longer, because my efficiency is always low (54 qt mash tun with CPVC homemade manifold, 5 bars). Using a keggle to boil, bucket to ferment, carboy for secondary (flavoring).

Style: American Wheat or Rye Beer
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.98 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.98 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.052 SG
Estimated Color: 8.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 23.2 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 69.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 72.1 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
8.49 gal Water 1 -
8.0 oz Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 2 4.3 %
5 lbs Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 43.5 %
4 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 4 34.8 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (30.0 SRM) Grain 5 8.7 %
1 lbs Caravienne Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 6 8.7 %
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 19.4 IBUs
0.25 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 3.8 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 9 -

Mash Schedule: 03 Medium Body Profile (152F)
Total Grain Weight: 11 lbs 8.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 5.00 gal of water at 161.5 F 153.0 F 90 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (0.25gal, 3.86gal) of 168.0 F water

Shorten the mash to just 40 minutes and add 3/4 lb lactose or maltodextrin. Either or both of those will help solve your sweetness problem.

Thanks, I was thinking of using lactose, but I was trying to come up with a way to sweeten it using the mash ingredients. I'm new to this, so I'm trying to change what I know. I'll try the lactose too. It's not like I'm gonna quit drinking lemon beer, I loves me some Leine Summer Shandy!

Why not just make a solid wheat and add lemonade as you pour? You'll soon find the right balance of sweet/lemon. Also, the hops in the lemon lime hefe above so a great job. I made an alternative to that recipe, upped the gravity to 5.7, and doubled the hop amounts but all in late 5min-whirlpool ). Great lemon/citrus flavor. I screwed up the beer post ferments I didn't enjoy it long, but was good while it lasted.

Why not just make a solid wheat and add lemonade as you pour? You'll soon find the right balance of sweet/lemon. Also, the hops in the lemon lime hefe above so a great job. I made an alternative to that recipe, upped the gravity to 5.7, and doubled the hop amounts but all in late 5min-whirlpool ). Great lemon/citrus flavor. I screwed up the beer post ferments I didn't enjoy it long, but was good while it lasted.

I think I read on this forum that is how Summer Shandy is made, killing the yeast, mixing it with lemonade, and force carbing.

Maybe so, but I was just going to try something out. I might learn something from it, so I'm experimenting with some things I haven't tried.

Back