All Grain Questions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simon Morris

Reaction score
Once i have got my wort cool and fermentation is under way, when is it time to keg/bottle? Some people say ferment for a number of days or when it reaches a gravity and then transfer from the sediment and leave for 21days before bottling?

what is the rule of thumb for lagers?

I rack to secondary after a week. For ales, I generally let it sit another 2 or 3 weeks before kegging, but basically you need to wait until it's done. I don't muck around with gravity readings. You can tell it's done when it stops bubbling and clears.

For lagers, it can be a lot longer, especially if you are at lager temps. We have a Bock that has been lagering for going on 3 months. Glad I haven't been taking hydrometer samples all that time or it would be gone ;)

So, rack to primary after a week, leave it in secondary until it's done, and then leave it another week after that and you'll be all set to keg or bottle.

Back