All Grain Pumpkin Ale gone completely wrong.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anubis01

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

A month ago I made an all grain pumpkin ale (recipe below). A week after I made it when I went to rack it, it smelled and tasted great (minus being a little flat). I added another pound of pumpkin (boiled it for half an hour and "dry hopped" it for 4 days in a sparge bag) and then let it sit till today when I found the time to bottle it. There was some film and what looked like protein (white cunks), which I thought was due to the piece of pumpkin that I accidentally dropped into the beer when I added the pound of pumpkin, and I couldn't smell anything. I tasted it and up front I got this awful sour taste with a vomit-like after taste. I have no idea what I did wrong, hopefully someone here has some advice :(. I'm ready to toss it out...

Anyway, here's the recipe:

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Samhain Ale
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: Witbier
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0) Forget Mash and Timer notes, follow this:

1) heat 3.5 gallons (14 quarts) strike liquor up to 165-170. Prepare grits and sparge bag in bottling bucket. Add strainer at the bottom of the bottling bucket. (Note to self: get that false bottom, the strainer bent under the weight of the grain).

2) Pour in strike liquor to cover bottom of bucket up to the top of the strainer. Add in 1/6 grain and 1/6 liquor. Stir and repeat till all liquore and grian is gone. Add in canned pumpkin as the last grain addition (2 cans equaling 2 lbs and 26 oz) and mix well.

3) cover bucket (now make shift tun) with fermentation lid and wrap in blankets. Wait 60-90 mins. Heat up 3.5 gallons (14 quarts) of liquor for sparging.

4) rinse out and warm up tubing and attach to the bottom of the bottling bucket. Place kettle at the bottom and let the tubing fall into the kettle. Open bottling bucket and let the sweet wort drain out into the kettle (note: really need that false bottom. Took forever to drain). Pour in the remaining 3.5 gallons of sparging liquor, mix, and drain again into kettle.

5) Move kettle to heat and bring to boil. After hot break, kill the heat, wrap in two towels, add Hallertauer, and start the clock (60 mins).

6) Add 2 sticks of cinnamon, 3 whole allspice, and 2 cloves with 10 mins left of the boil. Siphon wort from kettle into fermentation bucket. Add 1 teaspoon of nutmeg.

7) Pitched yeast at 74 deg F.

8) Primary: 1 week, Secondary: 2 weeks, Condition: 3+ weeks.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 8.90 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.77 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.05 gal
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 4.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 15.5 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 82.9 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5.00 gal Boston, MA Water 1 -
5 lbs 7.5 oz Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 50.0 %
3 lbs 4.5 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 30.0 %
2 lbs 3.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 4 20.0 %
1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 15.5 IBUs
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 6 -
1.0 pkg Hefeweizen Ale (White Labs #WLP300) [35. Yeast 7 -

I forgot to add that I used two pounds of canned pumpkin (without preservatives, I forget the name of the company).

Not sure what went wrong but I only ever add my pumpkin to the mash and it comes out awesome. I did an extract pumpkin , before I started AG obviously, and put the pumpkin in the boil... it came out awful and I had to dump it. I only use canned Libby's pumpkin at this point because I don't want to deal with the extra work of gutting a pumpkin, cutting out the flesh, etc. Another thing I learned that a lot of new pumpkin ale brewers get wrong is going crazy with the pumpkin. Some, even using just canned pumpkin. add waaay too much like several of the large cans. And when they do it they get a completely stuck runoff/sparge even when using rice hulls because it's simply too much.

Anyhow, don't know what went wrong with your pumpkin ale but I'm thinking that second addition is what screwed it up. Maybe it somehow got infected.

Rev.

Agreed. Sounds like a no turning back-er. You can try and wait to see if it gets good, but I'd recommend seeing the doctor, getting some anti-depressants and taking them for a few days before you dump it. It'll help you keep from being too sad when it goes down the drain. Just don't be afraid to cry. Strong men cry too.

Latest posts

Back