All grain problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its hard to say how much degradation you get from inconsistent ferm temps but two things are empirically true. My split batch experiment showed me that even a 3F difference in temps had huge impact on top character. 66f was crisp and bright while 69F was muted. Most people that bring me beers to troubleshoot, Diacetyl, Acetaldehyde and other problems were also correlated with no temp control. When yeast makes its own heat you want to cool it. When the heat wanes, you want to keep it warm, or even warm it up to quickly process out the byproducts. It was also mentioned before, but post ferment oxidation will strip hop character very fast. Look into low or no O2 transfering.

I can't speculate why extract batches were different other than seasonal diffences.

The feedback and advice is outstanding, thank you all for the support.
I’m taking it all on-board and will ensure my next batch is a winner.

many thanks to you all

I'd love to add something if you don't mind. You stated that your mash PH would be something like 5.6 and you adjust it during your mash. I was taught to take a PH reading just to make an adjustment if it's off for your NEXT brew and NOT to adjust during this mash as it's already too late. I could be wrong on this but I like to use Brunwater calculator and add all of my salts to hit the profile and PH I want. It's always spot on or really close. Has made a big difference in my brews.

Thanks Jay, I appreciate your input. Anything I do has been based on something I have read somewhere or saw in a video at one time or another but that certainly doesn’t mean I am doing it correctly. I’ll pay attention to this advice and be sure to use brunwater before my next brew. I have a few items I need to buy and look into something to regulate my fermentation temps before though, will be a few weeks out but I’ll post the results once complete.

many thanks

Back