All-grain on Stove Top

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benighted

Reaction score
Hey all, I recently bought a 12.5 gallon SS kettle and I am looking to do my first all-grain brew but I have to brew indoors. I have a gas stove and my kettle is big enough to fit over 2 burners. You guys think this will be enough to bring a 5 gallon batch to a full boil?

I did my first 120batches or so on my old ass gas stove. Id keep it on one burner at the lowest setting for mashing and straddle 2 burners for the boil. Im guessing itd be strong enough

just plan to have to clean scorched wort off your stove....alot

Hey all, I recently bought a 12.5 gallon SS kettle and I am looking to do my first all-grain brew but I have to brew indoors. I have a gas stove and my kettle is big enough to fit over 2 burners. You guys think this will be enough to bring a 5 gallon batch to a full boil?

Based on my experience, you will be just fine. I've done many 5G AG batches on the stove. With the last stove (which was a very cheap looking off-brand gas stove) I straddled two burners, and didn't even turn the second one up all the way because it would go up the side of the kettle.

It might take longer than you'd really like for it to get up to a boil, if so, consider getting a heat stick to help it along.

I do my five gallon boils on my gas stove top no problem! Takes about 15-20 minutes to get going but it gets the job done nicely! I also agree with the tin foil had a burn mark on the counter from the last batch...good thing we're getting new countertops soon!

:mug:

I do stove top all grain and it works just fine. In fact it is sort of a hybrid, kind of inspired by biab with a dunk sparge. Look up an older thread by Deathbrewer, it's the "duck's feathers" on the process. I used it on my first all gfrain batch just to see what would happen a few years ago and you know what I ended up with? BEER! :mug:

Awesome, a lot of great feedback. A lot of cool things to try out. Thx a lot everybody!

I do all grain on an electric range. Boil about 6.2 gallons down to 5.2 in about an hour, although it does take quite a while to get to a boil. Plan on some damage to your stove if it is not very heavy duty and sturdy. Mine Is pretty warped from the weight of the wort. In my next place im contemplating writing that the stove is damaged on the paper work when i move in. but that wouldn't be very honest.

I have a high-output, heavy duty, Bosch stove and I use the big burner for 5 gallon batches. It is slower than doing it outside but it gets the job done.

I can fit three 8 gallon kettles on my range top, and have no problems bringing them to a rolling boil. Lets me to three batches at a time in my kitchen. A beefy range hood is beneficial. I have no idea how people feel comfortable brewing outside with all that *nature* that can find its way into your beer.

guess your stoves in the US are a lot more heavy duty than the ones we buy in Europe! :D I had to buy a 9kW burner to get the job done...:D

Have a stainless 7.5 gallon kettle and just recently did several batches boiling 6.5 gallons down to five. Takes 10ish minutes straddled between two burners with the lid on. Finesse with the burners is required to prevent boilovers, but with that size kettle for a five gallon batch I can't imagine boilovers being much of a problem.

Back