All Grain Newb- Sparging and Final Product

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

everty2007

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I have brewed 3 all grain batches now and tried fly and batch sparging with mixed results. Fly sparging I ended up with a low OG and kind of watered down taste. I was thinking that it may be partially recipe, but any tips to help with fly sparging if anyone else has had this? On my batch sparging attempt I still had a lower OG than what Beer Tools estimated so had to add DME. I hope that I don't have to add DME to every batch to make up for my brewing techniques. So I thought I'd ask for thoughts...

Info: 5 gal batch, all were wheat beers, 10 lbs or a little over grain bill. I used about 3 gallons for mash and used 5 gallons for my sparge.

Any advice is appreciated, Cheers

Did you take gravity samples anywhere? Of the mash wort? Of the first sparge? Of the second sparge? That will tell you a lot. I assume you did a double batch sparge?

ChandlerBang said:
Did you take gravity samples anywhere? Of the mash wort? Of the first sparge? Of the second sparge? That will tell you a lot. I assume you did a double batch sparge?

I took gravity readings after sparge or before my boil, Then again with 15 min in boil to see if change then added DME then again before transfer to carboy. I have bought a refractometer since my last batch so im hoping that may help. Because i was letting sample cool to 80 for testing OG so some lag. For my batch sparge I did about 2 1/2 gal x 2 for my batch sparge. I have a small HLT so cannot fit a full 5 in there right now. I am making good mini mash beers so I know that I have to work on my mash techniques and my recipes.

Wow, sounds like you take plenty of readings. Good deal. Did you adjust the efficiency in BTP til it have you the right OG? What was the mash efficiency?

everty2007 said:
I took gravity readings after sparge or before my boil, Then again with 15 min in boil to see if change then added DME then again before transfer to carboy. I have bought a refractometer since my last batch so im hoping that may help. Because i was letting sample cool to 80 for testing OG so some lag. For my batch sparge I did about 2 1/2 gal x 2 for my batch sparge. I have a small HLT so cannot fit a full 5 in there right now. I am making good mini mash beers so I know that I have to work on my mash techniques and my recipes.

You should also take some readings during lautering. I typically take around 4. One at the beginning, two in the middle and one final preboil reading.

Three main things. 1 how is your crush? 99% of efficiency issues have to do with that. 2 how are your temps (both sparge and mash)? 3. How fast are you mashing out? It takes me about 45ish min. to mash out 6.5 gallons of wort. I also fly sparge.

baptistbrewer said:
You should also take some readings during lautering. I typically take around 4. One at the beginning, two in the middle and one final preboil reading.

Three main things. 1 how is your crush? 99% of efficiency issues have to do with that. 2 how are your temps (both sparge and mash)? 3. How fast are you mashing out? It takes me about 45ish min. to mash out 6.5 gallons of wort. I also fly sparge.

I've been playing with my crush, 1st was too much resulting in not much of a grain bed. 2nd I dont think I crushed enough and 3rd I think was ok, but batch sparged for first time and had about 7 gallons wort and finished with about 6 which was too much. I should have let it continue to boil down after reading and watching videos.

My temps were ok on first batch, second was a nightmare and the third went ok too. Tried to keep at 152 in my home depot mash tun. I have been reading more about step mashing and once I get the brew stand together I'm going to practice with temps and stuff. It's hard with the cooler method I think.

On my fly attempts it was about 30-45 min and my batch was add water and I let it sit for 30 min.

I'm reding, researching and watching any video I can find. I want to sign up for a class at Norther Brewer for all grain because that's how I best learn.

Thanks for all that comments and thoughts

Latest posts

Back