All-Grain Mashing Temperature Too Low- What to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoodyCopperpot

Reaction score
I have recently attempted my first all-grain home brew. I added the mash water to the mash tun with the grains at about 170. I was using 11.5lb of grain. A little background: I kept the mash tun cooler in the garage (about 60 outside) and brought it in, put 2 gallons of hot tap water in it for about 30 minutes before mashing.
I accidentally skipped the step of taking temp readings before starting the hour mash, but after the hour the temperature had fallen to 142. I am mostly assuming that the temperature had dropped significantly from 170 due to the coolness of the mash tun's plastic/the grain.

So my question is (assuming my theory is correct) if the temperature had dropped that low, what am I supposed to do to bring the mash temperature back up to 160-170? Is it safe to heat a couple gallons of water on the stove and add it to the rest of the mash?

You don't want to mash at 160-170. The usual range is 150-156.

The process I recommend with coolers is to strike a bit hot, like 175F with just water in the cooler. Close the lid for 10 minutes. Open it up and stir until you get it down to about 164F, then stir your grain in. That should get you to 153F equalized mash temp assuming 60F grain.

So my question is (assuming my theory is correct) if the temperature had dropped that low, what am I supposed to do to bring the mash temperature back up to 160-170? Is it safe to heat a couple gallons of water on the stove and add it to the rest of the mash?

Boiling extra water on the stove will work, but will throw off your 'water to grain' ratio. I would recommend heating up some of the mash water on the stove and adding it back to the mash, instead.

It would convert at 142, but it would take a long time. Hours. Best to raise the temp with another infusion of water. Just get a pot up to boil, then add a half gallon at a time until you get into the 150's.

Thinner mash (i.e., adding water) makes the mash slightly more fermentable, so that would work in your favor.

Another option is to do a decoction. An easy way to do this is to fill a sauce pan with a couple quarts of the mash (liquid and grains) and boil that, separately, on the stove. Once it is boiling, add it back to the mash to raise the temp to your desired mash (which should normally be between 150-160F). You may need to do this a few times.

Another option is to do a decoction. An easy way to do this is to fill a sauce pan with a couple quarts of the mash (liquid and grains) and boil that, separately, on the stove. Once it is boiling, add it back to the mash to raise the temp to your desired mash (which should normally be between 150-160F). You may need to do this a few times.

Agreed your Beta-amylase enzymes are working to poop out fermentable sugars but at a much slower rate (126-144 degrees) you can mash at 90 minutes with this. Do a decoction mash like jmo 88 said which will raise your mash temp( hopefully) to proper Alpha-amylase enzyme levels ( 149-153) All will give you more than enough fermentables in your wort. Mash out as per usual to lower viscosity of your sweet wort and properly wash your grains and BOOM!

i typed this whilst drinking so.....

I have recently attempted my first all-grain home brew. I added the mash water to the mash tun with the grains at about 170. I was using 11.5lb of grain. A little background: I kept the mash tun cooler in the garage (about 60 outside) and brought it in, put 2 gallons of hot tap water in it for about 30 minutes before mashing.
I accidentally skipped the step of taking temp readings before starting the hour mash, but after the hour the temperature had fallen to 142. I am mostly assuming that the temperature had dropped significantly from 170 due to the coolness of the mash tun's plastic/the grain.

I prefer to add the water to the MLT first, get the temp stabilized at the strike temp (I'll let it sit for 10 minutes or more and add either hotter or cooler water until it's perfect volume and temp), then add the grain, instead of trying to hit the mash temp by adding water to the grain in the MLT. Just have to make sure you stir really well after adding the grain, but that's necessary either way.

+1 on what Frodo say. I keep a 3 gallon bottle of cool water handy to adjust my mash temp.

A little hot and a little cold water until I get my mash temps. Also measure in many areas in the tun. When you first infuse the water you can have 140 in one part of the mash and 160 in another. Mix, let sit 5 to 10 minutes and measure again.

m.

Back