All grain Kolsch recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michigan_Wolfman

Reaction score
I got hooked on Leinenkugel's Kolsch style beer called Canoe Paddler after sampling some recently, so I decided to formulate a Kolsch for my own homebrew enjoyment. According to what little bit of info I was able to glean from Leinenkugel's website, they include a bit of rye in their recipe. I know that this is probably nowhere near being a clone, I'm just looking to brew something a bit similar. Let me know what you think. :mug:

This recipe was formulated using BeerTools free recipe formulator.

Of Kourse It's Kolsch

5 gallons, all grain

4.00 lbs Pilsen Malt; Briess
3.00 lbs German 2-row Pils
0.95 lbs Pale Ale Malt; Briess
1.00 lbs Rye Malt
0.86 lbs Rice Flaked
1.0 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker - 4.5 AA% pellets; boiled 60 min 0.50 oz Tettnanger - 4.5 AA% pellets; boiled 15 min
0.50 oz Tettnanger - 4.5 AA% pellets; boiled 1 min
White Labs WLP029 German Ale/Kölsch

OG- 1.049
FG- 1.009
Color- 3.5 SRM
ABV- 5.2%
Bitterness: 26.1 IBU

Don't use rice in German beers.

Apart from that, it looks really good (I'd be interested to hear how the rye goes).

Any reason you are using 2 types of Pilsner malt and a pale ale malt?

The use of a little rye sounds interesting in a kolsch.

The rest of the grain bill confuses me. Is that just what you happen to have on hand? I would probably just sub it all for 9lbs of pils malt. Maybe some wheat malt (if you're just looking for variety in the grain bill) which is not historically to style but commonly used in American interpretations.

For some strange reason when I was using BeerTools recipe formulator, it kept saying that my OG was too low, and I wound up adding some ingredients to the mix that probably shouldn't be there. I'm thinking I might just go with the suggestion of using 9 pounds of Pilsner, a little wheat malt and some rye. I'm pretty sure it won't be an exact duplicate of Leinenkugel's, but the slight hint of rye that comes through with the hops is what I'm shooting for. Soon as I get set up for all grain, I'm going to give this a try and let everyone know how it turns out. :mug:

Back