All grain, high gravity, Amber Ale question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speycaster

Reaction score
So I wanted to give a Little kick to my favorite Amber Ale, so I used 1/3 more grain than usual. Here are the numbers, and then the questions.

Stopped extraction with final runnings @ 1.034

Boil gravity 1.063
Original gravity 1.074
14 days fermenting in 8 gal Mini Brew conical fermenter @ 70Deg. gravity 1.023

The fermentation process seems to have stopped, and is stuck @ 1.023. It has been @ 1.023 for three days now.

Questions:
Is the beer done and ready for kegging?
Should I stir up the yeast to get it going again?
Should I farm some yeast and create a starter then repitch?
Leave it alone, and let it go for another week to see if it starts back on its own?

Thanks in advance for any input.

That leaves you at about 70% apparent attenuation which is could mean you are done or you may still have a bit to go depending on a few factors. Again; need to know mash temps, yeast type and yeast health/age).

Grain bill:
12lbs Brit Pale- Hugh Baird
1 lb 60L crystal
1/2 lb 80L crystal
1/4 lb chocolate malt

1 tsp gypsum for 60 min
1 tsp Irish moss for 20 min
Hops:
1 oz centennial for 60 min
1 oz Mt. hood for 45 min
1 oz Willamette for 15 min

I did a multi-rest mash.
30 min @ 104
30 min @ 140
30 min @ 158
Used WYeast yeast strain 1450 Denny's Favorite 50 new refrigerated packet from LHBS. Made starter with dme pitched @ 68 deg.

Hmmm, Denny's 50 should finish a titch higher than that according to the website. Maybe just try swirling your carboy a bit to get it back into suspension if it fell out for some reason.

I dumped the trub, then swirled the mini brew fermenter last night. I also turned on the heater in my garage to raise the temp from 65deg to 70deg. I'll let you all know what the sg reading is after I get home from work tonight. If it is still @ 1.023, it will be going in the keg Saturday.

Back