All grain floating trub/clarity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jreagan

Reaction score
Today I was planning on bottling my Cream of Three Crops Ale I brewed from a recipe on here. It has a good amount of floating trub even after being moved to secondary. When I picked up my carboy today and set it on the counter to siphon to my bottling bucket, a lot of this floating trub broke free of the CO2 bubbles holding it up and began to sink/suspend into my beer. I'm hoping that it'll all fall in the next hour or two so I can go on bottling but I'm worried I've already wrecked my chance to do it today. Should I just go ahead and get all my bottles out of the dishwasher and scrap it for today or do y'all think I should be ok in a little while? I'd hate to sit around all afternoon waiting on it and it never clears up. I have a fine mesh strainer I'm thinking about running it through to catch those big chunks do y'all think that might work?

I would cancel until you see first hand how clear it will get. That will save you some pacing around waiting, and you'll probably be happier that you waited.

Yeah I think I'm going to take your word for it and wait. I'm thinking about possibly moving it to a third (tertiary?) fermenter to maybe help clean it up some more. It was clear this morning but just picking up the carboy and setting it on the counter caused all that trub to move around enough to suspend some. What's to keep that from happening again if I wait. Would using a third fermenting container be totally unheard of and overly OCD or do people actually do that?

Thanks

Pantyhose on the tip of the racking cane works wonders for filtering out big chunks, as long as the pantyhose themselves don't start causing a clog. I would be worried about unwanted aeration of the wort with a fine mesh strainer, unless you could rig a way for it to work underwater ("underbeer").

Back