All-grain brewpot question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slimseven

Reaction score
I am making the jump to all-grain. Very excited. I already have an aluminum turkey fryer with a drain valve attached that I ran a couple test boils in and it worked like a charm on my gas stove. I have decided I want to use flame for the mash and am searching online for a nice pot to either mash in or to boil, preferably stainless steel with a valve attached, hopefully not going above $150. Which is the question: Do you guys think I should use the aluminum turkey fryer for the mash or for the boil pot? Advantages/disadvantages either way? I'm thinking mash, but I heard aluminum holds more heat, making it better for the boil.

I've got this pot with this valve. Love it and the combo is under your $150 limit. Still under if you need to buy the step bit as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am making the jump to all-grain. Very excited. I already have an aluminum turkey fryer with a drain valve attached that I ran a couple test boils in and it worked like a charm on my gas stove. I have decided I want to use flame for the mash and am searching online for a nice pot to either mash in or to boil, preferably stainless steel with a valve attached, hopefully not going above $150. Which is the question: Do you guys think I should use the aluminum turkey fryer for the mash or for the boil pot? Advantages/disadvantages either way? I'm thinking mash, but I heard aluminum holds more heat, making it better for the boil.

I learned about all grain via BIAB and use the turkey fryer pot for mash tun and boil and never move the wort until the boil is done. Now take that $150 you saved and buy more grains so you can make more beer.:ban:

I learned about all grain via BIAB and use the turkey fryer pot for mash tun and boil and never move the wort until the boil is done. Now take that $150 you saved and buy more grains so you can make more beer.:ban:

Or sell your current pot and buy something twice the size cause you need to be able to hold almost double the amount of water with BIAB :tank:

You might not come out ahead on that one. Check amazon. Plenty of great SS pots for under $100. Include the fittings needed and your way under the mark. Good luck.

I'm looking for one that comes with the valve attached or that will attach easily, like with instructions. Preferrably ten gallons. Anyone know of a good deal on something like that? I looked on Amazon, they have a pretty good deal on an eight gallon stainless pot, but I would like to have more room to prevent boilovers. The fiancee has not been happy about the two that have occurred, and they area ***** to clean up.

Sportsmans Warehouse should have a huge selection of the turkey fryers and morebeer would have the valve and could talk you through putting it in :)
Lots of DIY on here about installing them also.

I ask the same about aluminum . Need to give pot a good boil to season it before using it for beer

I've boiled a few times with it now, and I got it from a friend who I'm assuming used it to fry turkeys. Never really asked though.

I figure if I'm using it as a mash tun then any contamination would be taken away with a boil?

I just cleaned mine up with hot soapy water , hot rince and washed out with purex water solution before a boilout with water . No chance of contamination.

I ended up going with a 9 gallon Bayou Classic stainless steel pot that my lhbs had. Bought the ball valve conversion kit and used it as the mash tun this time. Eventually I wll get another just because I'm not all that big on aluminum, plus I lost a lot more volume during the boil than I had anticipated. I started with 6.5 gallons and ended up with probably 3.5-4 gallons in the carboy. Next time I guess I will start with eight gallons. Lesson learned, but all in all I am very happy to have an all-grain batch done and can't wait to do a lot more.

If there is any regret I have in brewing, it is a 9 gallon boil kettle. 10g or more! My next bk will be 15 gallon minimum.

Yeah, the next one I get will be 10 gallons or more and its not too far away. I had the brewing itch pretty bad yesterday, so I broke down and bought it, not wanting to wait for one to be shipped online.

What are you people doing that requires a 10 gallon boil kettle while I am fine with my 7 1/2? Don't you have controls on your burner?

I like them for the extra space to the top, that way I don't need to worry as much about boil overs. It's for peace of mind.

I like them for the extra space to the top, that way I don't need to worry as much about boil overs. It's for peace of mind.

Yep. I had an 8.5 gallon kettle and had to sit crouched by the burner controller for the first 10 minutes or so for fear of boil over. I'd rather just set and not worry. Plus, you can get a good SS 15 Gallon for $103 which includes shipping. Adding valves and such to that is easy and you'd be under the $150 guaranteed. Not you've got stainless though and don't have to worry about contamination.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0085ZODVO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Same brand I've got. It's solid!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back