All Grain Brewing Setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarleyL7

Reaction score
I've done about 5 batches of extract brewing and I'm ready to make the switch to All Grain. I was looking to get more equipment and possibly do a three tier system.

I already have a cooler for the MLT, a 5gal brew kettle, one burner and propane tank, and a fermentation bucket.

I want a CFC, and a 8-9 HLT. would it be better to get a HLT with valves and thermometer?

And what else would I need?

It would be handy to have valves and a therm on the HLT, maybe a sight glass as well. You need to heat your water to a specific temperature before putting that into the mash, so if you have a therm right on the actual vessel it would make it a little easier. That said, there's no reason you can't just check it from the top, or float a therm in there or something like that.

A ball valve would be fine as well. If you are doing a 3-tier system, I assume you intend to just use gravity to move your liquor / wort? A valve will make things easier, rather than lifting 40+ lb of water.

If you are looking into a three tier system you do not need to siphon, gravity will do the work for you. You will also need a new brew kettle to accommodate full boils. I would recommend a 10 gallon minimum or go directly to a 15 gallon and whichever one you choose you will need a ball valve to drain into CFC. In addition if your mash tun is only 5 gallon you should move up to a 10 gallon so you can handle larger grain bills.

A refractometer is a good item to have to check pre-boil gravities, PH strips and a good calibrated thermometer.

If you are going all out, definitely get valves on everything.

Personally, I'd recommend starting simple. Cooler, batch sparge - no stands or HLT. Brew a few batches and see how the process goes. At that point, you'll have a much better understanding of what would make your brew day easier or more enjoyable. Every brewer and setup is different and the only real way to know what you are going to like is to try some stuff out.

Also, if you haven't got one already, a fermentation chamber should be up their on the "wish list" before the bells and whistles stuff. It will go a lot further towards making consistently good beer than just about any other investment.

If you are going all out, definitely get valves on everything.

Personally, I'd recommend starting simple. Cooler, batch sparge - no stands or HLT. Brew a few batches and see how the process goes. At that point, you'll have a much better understanding of what would make your brew day easier or more enjoyable. Every brewer and setup is different and the only real way to know what you are going to like is to try some stuff out.

Also, if you haven't got one already, a fermentation chamber should be up their on the "wish list" before the bells and whistles stuff. It will go a lot further towards making consistently good beer than just about any other investment.

+1 to all this. Brew first, find your pain points, and spend the money there. But first, spend the money on fermentation control! Yeast don't know the difference between brass ball valves and tri-clamps.

Back