All grain brewing cheaper than extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW, I just helped a buddy of mine w/ his first brew (Extract), and the best part of it was that instead of chilling the wort we simply dumped it on ~6 lbs of ice from the fridge and we got pitching temps in about 15 sec!!! :D The whole "brewday" took under 2 hours and that included cleaning and getting waisted :D
Oh sweet baby jeeeebus. I can see I am wasting my time here.

Oh sweet baby jeeeebus. I can see I am wasting my time here.
that would be the best thing you said so far today.

I don't think there is a better or worst way to brew, RDWHAHB. But at least at my LHBS, and only when you use their LME, Extract brew is going to be cheaper then AG per batch (that's the subject of this thread). Now when you add all the equipment costs and time on top of it, there is NO COMPARISING: Extract is way cheaper then AG.
But then again, brewing is a hobby, and I enjoy it for past 11 years, and all the money I dumped into it over the years (AG) where money well spent :D

The OP was asking about ingredients, not equipment.
I've never heard of anyplace where extracts are cheaper than grains.

Congrats if you have such a LHBS.

My LHBS charges $4.99 for a pound of Briess Pale DME. I pay .65 cents/pound for bulk 2 row.

Scooby Brew...Seriously??? You stated this two pages ago:

I did the math and it is waaaaaaay cheaper to brew extract then AG.
In my LHBS, 2-row is $1.30/lb., LME is $2.50/lb.
9 lbs 2-row will cost you $11.70.
6 lbs LME (same as 9 lbs 2-row) cost you $15.

By your math and your prices at YOUR LHBS, that is $3.30 cheaper to do AG (the subject of this thread).

Yet you are saying extract is cheaper??? You need to get your head checked dude...

I can't brew AG w/out propane... I brew extract in the kitchen on a stove. I guess it depends if you want to call propane an ingredient, but if I can't brew a batch without it, that's an ingredient to me. So you need to add $7 to the cost of AG... So FOR ME Extract is cheaper then AG

Why can't you brew AG on the same stove you use for your extract? I don't understand this. In winter I brew indoors on my stove with the same exact equipment I used when doing extract.

So she lets you brew with Sticky LME in the kitchen but not benign grains?

Bass Ackwards if ya ask me (you didn't)!

Back to the topic at hand. If you want your taxes done by a real accountant, don't go to H&R Block. If you want math done on the cost of all grain versus extract, don't ask Scooby Brew!

:tank:

There is no way one batch of brew uses $7 worth or propane. I just filled my tank up and it cost me $17 and I got at least +10 brew sessions out of it.

Scooby, I don't get it. If you brew on the stove already. It's boiling wort no matter how you put it.

I'm actually trying to clear up any misconception that might have been created. Some new brewer is going to come across your post claiming that you HAVE to use a burner and propane to do AG. That is false. You need to get your facts straight before posting incorrect information.

Well, if you're brewing extracts via partial boils and that's the max your stove can handle, you really wouldn't be able to boil down a typical 6.5 gallon all grain preboil.

At the same time you can just do a smaller batch of AG. If you have a 5 gallon pot you can easily brew a 3.5 gallon batch.

This thread is too long.

Brew however you want to make the beer youre happy drinking. Thats what its all about. I agree about correcting misconceptions but now we're beating a dead horse.

stupid dead horse...
beating-a-dead-horse.gif

I am done.

Well, if you're brewing extracts via partial boils and that's the max your stove can handle, you really wouldn't be able to boil down a typical 6.5 gallon all grain preboil.

This. My electric range struggles to get anything more than 2.5 gallons to a rolling boil.

oh yeah. $20 for propane exchange, I get 3 AG batches on one tank.

Get some sort of heat shield for around the burner. You will double the amount of batches. I usually get 7-8 AG batches from a tank. Half the time it is doing 90 min boils too.

I will still maintain that regardless of cost AG owns Extract simply due to flavour. I still can't believe that I can taste the difference, but I can. Local pricing has an effect too. Here in Vancouver it is far cheaper to brew AG. Gambrinus malts in Armstrong and the extract comes from the US (IIRC). I pay $36 for a 25 lb bag of Pale Malt. No way I can get extract for that money, its almost $3 a pound...

I pay $36 for a 25 lb bag of Pale Malt. No way I can get extract for that money, its almost $3 a pound...
That's my point. 6 lbs. LME is $18.0, and 9 lbs. Pale Malt (same as 6 lbs. pale) costs you $13, plus the cost of propane, equipment and time.... ahhhhhhh....
deadhorse.jpg

I payed $40 for a 55lb sack of Wyermans Pale Ale 2 months ago at the LHBS. Thats $.73 per pound for 9lb its $6.57. I use a heat stick for the boil ( plus the gas range in the kitchen) so I don't notice the additional cost for fuel or at least I can't quantify the difference.

So your irrigation system is free, timers are free, water is free, sisal or other twine is free, rhizomes are free, cable/pulley/hangers are free, posts are free, your drying racks/system is free, and your fertilizer is free.

I have that all correct then? Did I miss anything else? Domestic pellet hops are around 75-85 cents per ounce. You think you spend less than $10 per pound including time and opportunity cost to do it?

That would be quite the feat. As I previously noted, though, if you enjoy it and you do it as a hobby and discount all of your time and opportunity cost, then you might be about "even" to produce hops you don't even know what the alpha acid content is and get minimal harvest until at least year 3.

Unless you are going to itemize the costs for your set-up and prove it, let's just say I have my doubts (because I have done the analysis for my setup which is not terrible expensive on its own).

Set up a hose with a bunch of holes in it. Use an old hose nobody wants, get a used one or buy a new one for $10. You can find used timers and whatnot for next to nothing (do a craiglist search...a ton of results come up) if you really want to do that, but I don't see why watering your plants should require so much technology.

During the rainy season here, the water is free. Otherwise the cost is minimal...$1/month or less to turn your hose on for a few minutes a day.

It doesn't cost me anything to go outside and turn the hose on for a few minutes. Yes, it's a hobby, but besides that many people have lawns, plants or go outside to jerk around once a day. No, I'm not counting that time...that's just silly.

Rhizomes are $5-$10...one time cost. You will get POUNDS of hops for them after a couple of years growth. You could easily get a pound the first year if you get a good rhizome that does well in your environment, properly fertilize it and water it. Hops are weeds, they grow like crazy.

Twine costs next to nothing. You can get a lifetimes worth (not just for hops) for $20 or get a friend to give you 20 feet or so.

I've got them hooked up to the top of the house...no cost there. No stakes or pulleys.

Even if I did spend money on all the supposedly required nonsense, every cost is up front. To maintain your hop garden costs next to nothing. Just like upgrading to an all-grain system, all the cost is up front...you do save money over time if you do it right.

You don't need to know the alpha acid of your hops. You should not use them for bittering. If you wanted, you could send them to a lab to be analyzed, but this would waste a great deal of your hops and is very expensive.

If you're that concerned about alpha acid and you absolutely want to save costs, then buy some warrior, magnum or other high-alpha variety and make only low-hop, low-alcohol beers via all-grain.

I could tell you that you could get all your equipment for next to nothing used or converted from other materials, but apparently you consider (minimal) time to be so important in a HOBBY that it is far too cost-prohibitive.

It is true that this works better in certain areas for certain people. If you don't own your home, you may not live there long enough to get a good yield. You won't get a good yield in a small amount of soil. You will have to water the hell out of it in a dry climate. Et cetera.

In the end, if it works in your environment, it is well worth the absolutely minimal cost.

I've spent probably $100 TOTAL on my hops. This includes water (I water them directly during the summer) at ~$36, wire at ~$10, rhizomes at ~$30 and fertilizer at ~$20.

I built racks for drying them from leftover wood and some wire mesh I found. Took me less than 30 minutes...a one time "cost".

By all means, count your time if it's precious...but you better well count all the time you read about different varieties when creating recipes, the time it took you to go to the store and pick them out, etc. if you are going to count everything. At that rate, the least cost-prohibitive way to brew is to mail-order a bunch of pre-made kits.

5 minutes on the internet. 5 minutes to receive and unwrap. Done. Cheapest way to brew.

I guess that's the case with all of it. The longer you brew all-grain with the equipment you buy, the more your cost approaches its minimum. The longer you grow hops, the more the cost approaches its minimum possible amount.

Except hobbies are like diseases...they grow and spread. You won't be happy with that equipment for long and you'll want more and more hops if your yard can handle it.

:cross: :cross: :cross: :cross: :cross: :cross:

That's my point. 6 lbs. LME is $18.0, and 9 lbs. Pale Malt (same as 6 lbs. pale) costs you $13, plus the cost of propane, equipment and time.... ahhhhhhh....
deadhorse.jpg

Sorry for the necro post but I just discovered the 'My Quotes'...

I have to apologize Scooby for an error in the post you quoted. I had meant to write 25 Kg instead of lbs. Makes a bit of a difference to your cost calculation. Sorry for the bum steer man.

So to revise your calculation with the correct numbers: 9 lbs Pale Malt at my cost of $0.69 / lb (55# sack for $38- price went up slightly since the original post) is $6.21 vs your $18 for the DME.

Propane and the trouble of mashing are worth a two-thirds reduction in cost to me no two ways about it...

Since you necroed the thread...

It's time to say the real reason this question gets asked so often . . .

To rationalize to SWMBO!

If I get this MLT, I can go all grain... I'm saving money here!
If I get this crusher, I can buy in bulk... (etc., etc.)

Since you necroed the thread...

It's time to say the real reason this question gets asked so often . . .

To rationalize to SWMBO!

If I get this MLT, I can go all grain... I'm saving money here!
If I get this crusher, I can buy in bulk... (etc., etc.)

I used the crusher one... and it's true, buying in bulk saves money. group buys are even better. love my $0.59 / lb grain

Back