All Grain brewer - 1st recipe attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmscott

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been doing home brewing for about a year and have always done all grain. I have about 12 brews under my belt with the first few being kits and than the rest being recipe follows (the later few I did a few minor tweaks).

I am making my first attempt to do a recipe of my own. I am looking for a nice citrusy IPA with a decent malt backbone and little bit of creaminess to it.

Here is what I have

10 lb United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale 38 3.75 75.5%
0.75 lb American - Caramel / Crystal 40L 34 40 5.7%
2 lb American - White Wheat 40 2.8 15.1%
0.5 lb American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) 33 1.8 3.8%
13.25 lb Total

Hops
0.5 oz Columbus 60 min
0.25 oz Amarillo 30 min
0.25 oz Citra 30 min
0.5 oz Columbus 30 min
0.5 oz Amarillo 5 min
0.5 oz Citra 5 min
0.25 oz Amarillo 0 min
0.25 oz Citra 0 min
1 oz Amarillo Dry Hop 7 days
1 oz Citra Dry Hop 7 days

I am getting about 65 Ibu's and a OG of 1.068

Does it look like I am on track? Any thoughts or suggestions for this newbie is much apprciated.

Looks good to me. What type of yeast are you going to use. Im all for making my own recipes and just seeing what happens.
I just brewd this

8lbs 2 row
1/2 lb carapils
1 oz centennial @ 60 min
1oz mt hood @ 10 min.
and its as pale and clear as a Budweiser but has a flavor and aroma of an ipa with a thick head on it. I really didnt expect anything special but I will be doing this again next week. Try it out you just might have something great.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

I figured the only way to really understand malt and hops better is to start going on my own. I have a small brew space so finally just got the specialized equipment bought and built to make just throwing together a brew a lot more of a simple process.

Looking at the temp control I can get during fermentation at this time of year and with the thoughts I do not want much imparted from my yeast I am thinking of using White Labs San Diego Super Yeast - I have not used it before but the description is exactly what I want.

I just started that myself. I have a brew shed set up now as my get away and ive found no matter what you read about a product youll never lnow it until you use it. I dont think I can call myself a true brewer until ive tried about everything:D . Good luck and Plz post how it comes out.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

Latest posts

Back