Alesmith champagne style bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jevans

Reaction score
I am looking to bottle a dark Belgian strong and want to get it up to 3 volumes. Champagne bottles with regular beer caps would be ideal, but Champagne bottles are traditionally green. Alesmith however uses what appear to be very dark brown Champagne bottle that take a 29mm (vs. 26mm standard) cap.

Anyone know where to get these bottles? Several places have the 29mm caps but nowhere has the bottles for them (brown or otherwise).

For homebrew, I don't think there is a problem with green bottles. I only worry about them when it is commercial beer and they can't control where the bottles will be placed in the store. As a homebrewer we can keep them in boxes and then a fridge.

I have used the green bottles from Dupont and other Belgian beers with no problem. Even better is Martinelli's bottles because they take the standard cap and are much cheaper and easier to collect. In addition, to give my bottles their own look I have played around with spray painting them. Think Gulden Draak Christmas
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...page=1&ndsp=32&ved=1t:429,r:6,s:0&tx=60&ty=65

For dark bottles, the ones to find would be the ones that Jolly Pumpkin uses. They can take high carbonation and use standard caps.

Your last option, are the dark bottles that German Hefes come in. They are also rated much higher (not sure the exact volumes though) and are standard caps. You may be able to find this type brand new.

Back