ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaz28

Reaction score
this is my first time doing a Belgium ale kit its been brewing for 2 weeks and im not sure if it looks right the heads gone and there's little white bits coming up when i put the hydrometer in it comes out all gunky

photostream

SAM_0360.jpg

bad picture but the gunky stuff is probably trub and yeast from the bottom and the floating stuff is hard to see.

Looks like yeast rafts to me. No big whitish bubbles,no "interconnecting tubes/lines". Otherwise pretty clear. I say it's fine.

Never used belgian yeast, but that looks like you are starting a pelicle there. Very common in sour aged beers, but like I said, I am not familiar with the belgians.

Never used belgian yeast, but that looks like you are starting a pelicle there. Very common in sour aged beers, but like I said, I am not familiar with the belgians.

Definitely not a pellicle. You should really check out this thread to learn what real infections look like.

That's definitely just leftover krausen, bubbles, and yeast. Looks like every beer ever.:mug:

Definitely not a pellicle. You should really check out this thread to learn what real infections look like.

That's definitely just leftover krausen, bubbles, and yeast. Looks like every beer ever.:mug:

I've got a sour going right now that has been in the fermentor for almost a year, and I know it is under temperature, that does not have much more of a pelicle than that. Mine looked just like that for a good 2 months after krausen fell off. I'm sure if it was warmer it would have a thicker mat, but even right now there is just a thick skin over the top. Like I said, never used the yeast before, and not saying it is a pelicle, just said it looks like one is starting.

And I have checked the thread, several times, even posted in it.

Latest posts

Back