Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grind219bass

Reaction score
Hey brewers - kind of a n00b question. My buddy and I started an American Cream Ale on Wednesday, but the foaming/bubbling has already stopped in the primary after 4 days. The last ale we made stopped foaming after about 10-12. Is this normal? Since it's fermenting at his place I won't be able to check the gravity until Tuesday. Thanks in advance. :mug:

I'm sure it's fine, plenty of beers are some fermenting within a few days. I would leave it in the fermenter for at least two weeks. And the only way to be sure it's done is by taking hydrometer readings over a few days. If it's not dropping, it's done

A four day krausen is pretty much what you should expect. 10-12 is pretty long but not a bad thing. gcdowd's advice is absolutely correct.

You can't really put a time on the yeast. Three to four days is typically what I have for the high activity stage of fermentation but a lot of things can make a diffferance. A good healthy yeast at the right temps. may hang in there and chew up some of the longer chains, giving you a dryer beer with a higher ABV.
Good to see another Hoosier on here, where are you at. I'm about 30 miles south of Terre Haute, I'm the only homebrewer around, and most people think it's still illegal to make beer.

I had the exact same concerns a you did with my first two batches. I went around on these forums and found a post titled 'Did I destroy my beer' or something like that. One of the common worries people have are lack of bubbling. Theyre recommendation is to relax, you wont kill it just because you cant SEE activity.
Remember, yeast cells are microscopic, so it takes a good bit of coordination for them to ALL expel gasses at the same time. Most of the time, you will be getting tiny microbubbles that are nearly undetectable.

Okay - thanks for the tips. I wasn't TOO worried about it, but rather be safe than sorry. And we brew in Saint John. I know a couple of home brewers, but they're not much more experienced than me.

Here's the finished product everyone - turned out way better than I had expected. Thanks for the advice!
homebrew.jpg

Hey brewers - kind of a n00b question. My buddy and I started an American Cream Ale on Wednesday, but the foaming/bubbling has already stopped in the primary after 4 days. The last ale we made stopped foaming after about 10-12. Is this normal? Since it's fermenting at his place I won't be able to check the gravity until Tuesday. Thanks in advance. :mug:

No matter when they stop foaming i give them 30 days in primary, and they are better because of it. Patience is your greatest asset when brewing beer!:mug:

Even when a beer is "done" by reaching FG, let it sit on the cake for 3-4 weeks, because the yeast can clean up the byproducts of fermentation and it results in a cleaner, superior beer. Try it out, and you'll never go back.

Back