Ale with Homegrown Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I have harvested and dried my 2015 hops. I got 1# fuggles and roughly 3# cascade from my plants this year. I am always used to brewing pale ales, IPA's etc to help showcase my hops but I am looking for something different this year to make with these hops.....I am thinking a pale lager or even a wheat lager? Anybody else have any ideas on how to showcase these hops? Maybe an all fuggles English IPA?

I would go ahead and use them late in the boil like a 5 minute addition unless you got them tested and you know the AAs (if they happen to have the way upper limits of the varietal AA% you could end up with a crazy amountof IBUs).

The fuggles could be awesome in the English IPA or a strong ESB. Cascade could make for a good IPL or a wheat pale lager with lots of late hops. I used a bunch of fresh wet cascade for a black IPA that turned out really awesome and goes over well with those that try it.

Black IPA.......I like where you are going with this. Maybe with some English yeast. Blacken it up up with some black malt added to the sparge possibly

I used 1762 with a good chunk of midnight wheat malt. It definitely comes off more like a Belgian Black IPA Stout since it has more body and more chocolate/coffee behind the big citrus hoppy punch.

But, going English is definitely a good plan.

Fuggles work really well in a Northern English Brown Ale. Low carbonation really allows the aroma to shine too.

I just used mine from this years harvest in an Oatmeal Stout, Gravity sample i took a couple of days ago was smelling and tasting really nice.

Back