Ale-Pocalypse 2012

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats a pretty rough environment for introducing a new yeast. I would make the starter using your sample plus a bit more.

Ok pretty crazy, I took my gravity reading just now. I started with a 1.100 gravity reading, and I just pulled a reading that my hydrometer can't read.... I am thinking .880 or so, but that seems crazy. Now I used the amylase to convert the complex sugars. According to the calculator that roughly 24-28% avb. Now when I get up in the morning I will check my hydrometer and check it's calibration. Now unless my hydro check was wrong on my first reading I am not sure what to believe.

I am drinking my sample right now. And I am really digging it. I haven't added the soaked oak chips, and my beer already reminds me of drinking a smooth whiskey. Now the whiskey flavor is more of an undertone. It is a bit dry, but if my gravity reading is really what it says. the aroma is great right now.most of my beers normally don't have a strong aroma.

Here is a picture of the gravity reading. My hydrometer is in there just so u know.

image-926991329.jpg

EDIT: Ok so I have been Sipping On this beer, Yeah I am pretty sure this has a good amount of alcohol. Yeahh...

kennywd said:
Ok pretty crazy, I took my gravity reading just now. I started with a 1.100 gravity reading, and I just pulled a reading that my hydrometer can't read.... I am thinking .880 or so, but that seems crazy. Now I used the amylase to convert the complex sugars. According to the calculator that roughly 24-28% avb. Now when I get up in the morning I will check my hydrometer and check it's calibration. Now unless my hydro check was wrong on my first reading I am not sure what to believe.

I am drinking my sample right now. And I am really digging it. I haven't added the soaked oak chips, and my beer already reminds me of drinking a smooth whiskey. Now the whiskey flavor is more of an undertone. It is a bit dry, but if my gravity reading is really what it says. the aroma is great right now.most of my beers normally don't have a strong aroma.

Here is a picture of the gravity reading. My hydrometer is in there just so u know.

EDIT: Ok so I have been Sipping On this beer, Yeah I am pretty sure this has a good amount of alcohol. Yeahh...

Dam. My og was 1.120 i took the second reading in the pic a few days later (see for reading). I have been on leave in new york since june 22nd. When i left it was well into the second fermentation with the super HG yeast. I cant imagine what it is down to now or what kind of flavors to expect when i get home on the 14th.

grssmnperez said:
Dam. My og was 1.120 i took the second reading in the pic a few days later (see for reading). I have been on leave in new york since june 22nd. When i left it was well into the second fermentation with the super HG yeast. I cant imagine what it is down to now or what kind of flavors to expect when i get home on the 14th.

Well I examined my hydrometer, it was cracked. :( so false reading. I am not sure what it is. So I am betting I am just where I need to be. I won't know till I buy. New one

Alright so i got home from New york last night and after three weeks in primary it is definitely done. I put my oak chips into the jameson limited reserve tonight. How long do they need to soak for?

grssmnperez said:
Alright so i got home from New york last night and after three weeks in primary it is definitely done. I put my oak chips into the jameson limited reserve tonight. How long do they need to soak for?

Well I got different responses from ppl, I think most say a week, but I believe it depends on the amount of chips and flavor u are looking for. Try a week and taste. If its where u want it than rack off... It's up to u one why flavor profile u want.

The chips are just soaking up a ****load of the whiskey. Im ready to rack into secondary!!!

grssmnperez said:
The chips are just soaking up a ****load of the whiskey. Im ready to rack into secondary!!!

Mine have soaked up quite a bit as well. But a lot still left that I believe I will take a shot or to of.

kennywd said:
Mine have soaked up quite a bit as well. But a lot still left that I believe I will take a shot or to of.

Have you racked yet? What was the gravity?

grssmnperez said:
Have you racked yet? What was the gravity?

My FG was 1.030, it's where my calculator says it was suppose to be at if I started at 1.120, but I started at 1.100... Either way I doubt I will get any bottle bombs when I do bottle. Next time I will just order HG yeast. I m sure i will try this again. After tasting it had a really good flavor too it. Avb. Still around 9.5% which is not bad.

grssmnperez said:
All bottled up. Now the wait begins!

My last tasting was great. I should be bottling here soon. We had to let it sit in carboy longer because we haven't had any time to transfer lately. But a little bulk aging will be good.

kennywd said:
My last tasting was great. I should be bottling here soon. We had to let it sit in carboy longer because we haven't had any time to transfer lately. But a little bulk aging will be good.

I also bottled a summer citrus wheat the same night for something i can drink a bit sooner. Should be good for these late summer nights.

grssmnperez said:
All bottled up. Now the wait begins!

How's it going? The guys and me decided to let it bulk age a bit longer. I am wondering if I should add more yeast or not. Either way it doing great so far.

I havent opened one yet and dont intend to until at very least xmas then the rest a year or two later.

We have brewed over 2 1/2 years and had one bad brew... This one tops the cake.... We have had bad luck on this brew from the get go. All I can hope is it turns out drinkable. But the lasting tasting I wasn't too happy with. Hopefully this is t a foreshadowing to the apocalypse. Either way, that's crazy it hasn't carved yet. I pop one open later today and see if that same thing happened to me.

Will I try it again prolly but only after I forget all the problems.

I, too, had a carb problem in the bottles. I went ahead and popped all the tops and transferred all into a keg. Added 3 more oz of brown sugar and that did it. I'm still going to let it mellow out for a few more months, if not years!!!!

I opened a bottle yesterday and it wasn't bad, the off flavor was still there but it was so slight it wasn't bad at all. The flavor close to a whiskey but still a beer. Hops seemed perfect, great aroma (whiskey, & hop) I am thinking letting it age a bit will do it. Right now it's drinkable, and hopefully later it will be awesome. Right now I am pretty happy it doesn't taste like ass.

Oh and it carbed just right.... Hope urs carb. Good luck.

Opened one last night for my birthday. The intense alcohol flavoring is really starting to tone down and fruity characters are starting to come out. Still not carbed though. Any suggestions? Or is it too far along?

I know if no tricks to carb up he bottle except taking dry ice dropping it in and capping Again. Not too much or you will get a fast bottle bomb. I have never tried this though so I have no experience doing that.

Back