Alcohol burn

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinb

Reaction score
So I tasted my first mead for the first time last night. Not too bad, but it has quite a bit of an alcohol burn. Does that settle out at all with aging? This one is only a few weeks old. It is still in my primary.

Definitely going to settle down some after 6-12 months. If you fermented in a higher temp range (like above 73-75), you likely generated a good bit of fussel alcohols, which give it that hot alcohol taste

I did 7 different Gallon batches last yr, (last one bottles around august), so am starting to try them now. Some things I've found. Mind you these are all JQG adaptations

One recipe (Cran-Pom) that I subbed in 1 lb of cane sugar for one of the 3 lbs Honey has mellowed out much quicker than many of the other full-honey batches.

Perhaps there is something to that, since my Skeeter pee never has the hot taste of my meads when young

Latest posts

Back