Alchemy Hop Blend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rferguson61

Reaction score
Widmer uses a hop blend that they call "Alchemy". I found what goes in it (below) but they don't give percentages anyone have an idea?

"Currently the blend is combination of Warrior and Millennium, though in past years it's also included a small percentage of Horizon hops as well (the acreage for Horizon has been declining the last several years, and with it the quality of selection)... ...To ensure against crop failure situations there is a good chance we will look to add another hop to the blend if the Horizon crop doesn't rebound"

http://www.brews-bros.com/index.php/topic/18764-alchemy-hops/

They just use it for bittering (IIRC), so I wouldn't worry about using any of the hops they mentioned (or any other low cohumulone hop for that matter).

Red Hook's Longhammer, a clone-ish version of which I've made many a time, also uses Alchemy hops

I use a 2:2:1 blend of Millennium:Warrior:Summit.

Oldsock said:
They just use it for bittering (IIRC), so I wouldn't worry about using any of the hops they mentioned (or any other low cohumulone hop for that matter).

Why not?

The flavor you get from additions early in the boil don't retain much character besides the bitterness. There is some difference between hops that give a harsher bitterness and those that give smoother, but it wouldn't make or break a clone.

Oldsock said:
The flavor you get from additions early in the boil don't retain much character besides the bitterness. There is some difference between hops that give a harsher bitterness and those that give smoother, but it wouldn't make or break a clone.

Gotcha. Just as long as you hit the IBUs?

Gotcha. Just as long as you hit the IBUs?

Exactly. Even if you are using the same hop you should adjust so that the weight X AA% for the hops in the recipe are equal to what you are using (for example if it calls for 1 oz of 5% AA hop then you would use 1.25 oz if your hops were 4% AA).

Back