Airstone keeps shooting off tubing!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WalkingStickMan

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I recently purchased the oxygenation kit from Morebeer, and am having some problems with it. I've used it twice so far (once in a 5 gallon batch, and once in a starter), and each time, no matter how slow I open the regulator, a second after O2 begins coming out the airstone shoots off the hose! It seems that this is the result of built up pressure due to the airstone being clogged. I boiled the stone for 15 minutes both times, then put the setup (sans regulator) in a bit of Starsan, pump a little O2 through, and go to use it in my wort. Both while in the Starsan and the wort, the airstone flies off from the hose after attempting to pump O2 through, making for a big PITA.

Is it the Starsan that's clogging it? I hope to be able to oxygenate my Belgian Golden Strong Ale this upcoming weekend, but if I'm going to be transferring to another carboy again just to retrieve the airstone, then I'm thinking I'll get oxygen into the beer some other way.

Anyone experience this before? Any solutions work? thanks for any help everyone!

Peace.

I am wondering the same thing. This has happened to me multiple times and I haven't found a solution yet. I mean I could easily put a ss hose clamp on there but that would be too easy. I am more curious as to why it happens. My thought is star san or the beer itself is clogging the holes.

I haven't had a problem with mine. I've seen it happen if your hose isn't stiff enough. Get the stiffest hose you can find. Also, heat up the hose in hot water so that you can push the stone further into the hose. Once it has cooled it should stay secure. If you want to test your theory that the stone is clogged, use a (gloved!) hand to hold it in place while you ramp up the O2. If you see bubbles, it's not clogged (though the O2 itself might unclog it if you can hold it on the line long enough).

I have good luck with silicon air line under fairly high pressure.

My setup uses BevLex Gas Line from the air source through a HEPA filter to a valve and then to the silicon air line connecting the sintered air stone. The only place I have experienced a blow out was at the air source, not at the stone. Perhaps you need a valve to restrict flow after the regulator?

Back