Airlock!???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Temp inversion suckback, pretty common as the fermenter cools off to create a bit of a vacuum and draw the airlock liquid into it. That's why I usually use a sanitizer in the airlock.

Temp inversion suckback, pretty common as the fermenter cools off to create a bit of a vacuum and draw the airlock liquid into it. That's why I usually use a sanitizer in the airlock.

Or you can use cheap vodka in your airlock if you have it. Just adds a little bit of alcohol if you are uncomfortable with star san in your beer (I'm not) :D

This is why I use the "S" shaped airlocks filled with vodka, that is when I use them. I usually just use a 5/16" blow-off tube submerged in a jar of sanitizer.

Wouldn't an s-shaped airlock also have suckback? It's not the shape that affects it, but the temperature and pressure. If CO2 can escape, then water or vodka can still be sucked back in.

Wouldn't an s-shaped airlock also have suckback? It's not the shape that affects it, but the temperature and pressure. If CO2 can escape, then water or vodka can still be sucked back in.

Nope, not correct. The S shaped airlocks do not spit the liquid into the fermenter, due to the way it works. Just like it does not spit liquid out when CO2 bubbles though it, it does not leak liquid in when air is sucked back in.

There is a difference between getting liquid sucked into the fermenter and dripping when you are using a 3 piece airlock.

If it's just dripping, it probably is because you filled up the airlock while it is assembled and you ended up with liquid in the inner tube... If you take your airlock apart, fill it up, then assemble it, you shouldn't have liquid "dripping" into the fermenter.

Nope, not correct. The S shaped airlocks do not spit the liquid into the fermenter, due to the way it works. Just like it does not spit liquid out when CO2 bubbles though it, it does not leak liquid in when air is sucked back in.

Good to know, thank you.

Latest posts

Back