Airlock slowed down on bubbling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wafflesbr0wn

Reaction score
Should I be worried that my my batch is screwed up? Only been in the primary for 2 days now. Yesterday the bubbling in the airlock was pretty steady, bubbles every 3 to 4 seconds. Today, ever 14 to 16 seconds. Should I be worried? Or RDWHAHB. (first batch ever brewed, still a newbie)

Don't worry - everything is fine. I typically start getting fermentation within 3-4 hours after I pitch the yeast and it goes crazy for the first few days and then levels off. Remember - leave it in your primary for 2-3 weeks before you move to secondary or to bottling/kegging:mug:

I planned on leaving it in the primary for four weeks, then move to PET carboy for four more weeks, then bottle and leave for two weeks. Then stick me in the fridge for two weeks. So, over all I don't need to worry about the yeast being dead, since the bubbling slowed down.

What kind of beer are you brewing? That is a really long fermentation schedule for a normal beer.

3-4 weeks in primary, check your gravity, then bottle. Or 2 weeks primary, check gravity, then 2 weeks secondary if you want.

I guess I was being a little gung ho about the fermenting. Just want to make sure it right. And want the bottles to condition on carb nice..

Well at least you have the patience thing down even if it is a bit of overkill. I usually only get about 3 days of vigorous good fermentation so 2 isn't off by much. Don't get discouraged if the first one isn't fantastic. Learn a lot and the beer will get better.

Yeah the directions only say the 4 to 6 days. Then SG, the move to secondary for 6 to 7 days. Then, check FG. Move to bottling

Just move my first batch to the secondary. I'm not getting and bubbles in the airlock, should I worry or RDWHAHB . Did I screw something up?

Just move my first batch to the secondary. I'm not getting and bubbles in the airlock, should I worry or RDWHAHB . Did I screw something up?

The beer only "bubbles" during fermentation. Or if the weather changes or something like that. Watching bubbles is not a good way to judge whether the beer is finished or not- a hydrometer reading is the only way to tell.

If you've moved the beer to a clearing vessel ("secondary"), it should have been done fermenting before it was moved. You shouldn't see signs of fermentation in a clearing vessel.

Awesome!! I didn't have bubbles in my primary for two days, moved it to the secondary yesterday. The beer tested awesome, I can't wait for it to be finished.. Had two of my buddies try the sample as well, they thought it was awesome as well... I do have a little worry in the back of my head. Didn't take any gravity readings at all durning this brew. First batch too. Think I got in too much of a hurry. Could I have possibly screwed something up?

I think I will not start a new thread, since my question is very similar to the OP's.
I've brewed my AG on Thursday night. Everything went superfine. Hit the target OG as a sniper with 1.060, as per recipe calculator.
Friday morning I've found my fermenter's airlock bubbling like crazy - ~2-3 bubbles per second. This continued through the whole day and night. Saturday morning the airlock was barely bubbling and ceased to bubble by noon altogether. Today is Sunday and I've taken my gravity reading and was amazed since it was at 1.014 (my target FG is 1.012).
I'm going to wait for two more days before taking another reading. But is this normal? I haven't heard a single bubble go of today at all. And if this is normal - what should I do? bottle after just 5 days in fermenter or still wait for ~2weeks before bottling?

BTW the sample tastes like ambrosia :drunk:

I do have a little worry in the back of my head. Didn't take any gravity readings at all durning this brew. First batch too. Think I got in too much of a hurry. Could I have possibly screwed something up?

You can get by without taking gravity readings as long as you give the beer plenty of time to completely finish fermenting.

It sounds like your bubbling airlock previously stopped, and you're in a secondary fermenter now for conditioning. I'd just let it sit there as you planned (1-2 weeks?), then move on to bottling.

The hydrometer primarily helps us know when fermentation is done. By giving it plenty of time, you are OK. But without gravity readings, you just won't know if you hit your expected gravity targets.

I think I will not start a new thread, since my question is very similar to the OP's.
I've brewed my AG on Thursday night. Everything went superfine. Hit the target OG as a sniper with 1.060, as per recipe calculator.
Friday morning I've found my fermenter's airlock bubbling like crazy - ~2-3 bubbles per second. This continued through the whole day and night. Saturday morning the airlock was barely bubbling and ceased to bubble by noon altogether. Today is Sunday and I've taken my gravity reading and was amazed since it was at 1.014 (my target FG is 1.012).
I'm going to wait for two more days before taking another reading. But is this normal? I haven't heard a single bubble go of today at all. And if this is normal - what should I do? bottle after just 5 days in fermenter or still wait for ~2weeks before bottling?

Basically, your fermentation got off to a vigorous start and pretty much completed in the first few days. This is entirely normal. Fermentation can complete in a couple days, or a couple weeks.. it depends on a lot of factors like temp and type of yeast.

However, just because you reach your target FG doesn't mean you should go ahead and bottle. It is best to still give it 2 weeks minimum in the primary. After primary fermentation completes, the yeast are still going to work, cleaning up your beer, and helping eliminate some potential off-flavors. Giving them the extra time helps improve your beer before going to bottling.

thanks for your clarification :)

Another quick question - should I stir the beer with a clean paddle (give additional O2, alevate yeast from the bottom), or should I just leave it be?

Leave it be.

I also suggest using a hydrometer in a couple of weeks to make sure it is really done before you bottle. 2 readings a few days apart that are the same will tell you it's done.

Back