Airlock leaking question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlennon

Reaction score
I brewed batch number 3 last night and it was the first time I used a plastic carboy. Without thinking I added my beer to the carboy, inserted the bung w/the airlock and the airlock was filled to the max line with bleach water(pretty diluted). When I went to move the carboy I did not take in the flex of the plastic and the juice in the airlock got sucked (not all, but most) into the carboy.

Did I waste a couple hours of my life?

I brewed batch number 3 last night and it was the first time I used a plastic carboy. Without thinking I added my beer to the carboy, inserted the bung w/the airlock and the airlock was filled to the max line with bleach water(pretty diluted). When I went to move the carboy I did not take in the flex of the plastic and the juice in the airlock got sucked (not all, but most) into the carboy.

Did I waste a couple hours of my life?

It should be fine. Have a look at my how to fill an airlock properly.

MC

Yeah,I noticed that effect with my 6G BB. Get it in it's fermenting spot,then put the airlock in & fill to the line. I prefer cheap vodka for this,as anything that gets in it dies of alcohol poisoning. In the event of a suck back,it won't effect the flavor or quality of the beer,unlike bleach water. That can give band aid flavors.

Thank you. I am going to stick with it and see what happens. I'll only dump it if it taste like Budweiser.

I prefer to use a 3% citric acid solution in water for my airlocks, enough to kill bad bugs, but not sour anything if it sucks back in. But I also keep the levels low enough where little to nothing could get sucked in.

The point I took from a youtube video buy Gary from Home Brewer TV when it was stil on. He'd been doing it for a while. It kills nasties that get through the lil holes in the airlock cap. Alcohol poisoning for a good reason finally!:mug:

The point I took from a youtube video buy Gary from Home Brewer TV when it was stil on. He'd been doing it for a while. It kills nasties that get through the lil holes in the airlock cap. Alcohol poisoning for a good reason finally!:mug:

My gripe with vodka is that it evaporates quicker than water.

MC

That depends on how dry/humid the air in your house is. You may need a humidifier,as the proper amount of moisture in the air is more thermally efficient. Mine takes till bottling day to loose about 1/2" or a bit less.

Vodka over beer lasts till bottling day just fine for me. Over some of my wines I might have to top off the air lock but I don't mind. Keeping an eye on things is part of home brewing.

So far so good. My airlock actually exploded from all the action. I think in the future I will be using either water or vodka in my airlock.

Back