Airlock blew off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

403Brewer

Reaction score
So I woke up this morning and there was wort all over the floor and the airlock was on the otherside of the room...not sure what happened but clearly blew off. Anyways I sanitized the airlock and put it back on...still fermenting strong. Think my brew will be okay?? Clearly a chance of infection but other than that will it be okay or do you think this will be a dump? I've done 5 homebrews all turned out good so this was a surprise.

The only comment I have is the recommendation in the thread you provided to use a blowoff tube.
I always use a blowoff tube for the active phase of fermentation. It's just easier than worrying if it will clog the airlock or not. Ounce of prevention pound of cure kinda thing. After the initial 2-3 days of vigorous fermentation I will swap out with a standard airlock.

403brewer, take a look at the bottom of your 3 piece bubbler (airlock) some of them are straight open (good)...and some have a type of flange...or a baffel that restricts the flow of gas escaping (bad)..this type plugs easily, just file it off so it is more straight open...I also had a blow up, with the later type of airlock

Why would you bother switching it out?

From my understanding there's no harm just leaving the blow-off until completion, no?

I can't speak for LogicBomb, but I swap out because I like how small the airlock is. Blowoff tube requires multiple pieces. I like to clean everything as soon as I can. As soon as I see that the BT is unneeded, I clean the tube, and the growler that it is fed into. I also use the airlock base as a nozzle for the tube though, so the conversion is simple as tug out tube, toss in the airlock cup, add vodka, cap and voila!

Start EVERY fermentation with a blow off tube attached. It will save you a lot of cleanup.

+1 Once you dial the process in and get making healthy yeast starters, added to oxgenated wort at the right temperatures, a blowoff assembly is just plain mandatory IMO. I have blowoff residue that makes it almost 12" up my blowoff and i even got about 3/4 cup of hop/yeast schmutz in the bottom of the bottle of sanitizer on my last batch.

The only comment I have is the recommendation in the thread you provided to use a blowoff tube.
I always use a blowoff tube for the active phase of fermentation. It's just easier than worrying if it will clog the airlock or not. Ounce of prevention pound of cure kinda thing. After the initial 2-3 days of vigorous fermentation I will swap out with a standard airlock.

I wanted to add: There is roughly 0% chance of infection.

The pressure generated enough force to expel the airlock, so it can be safely considered that positive pressure was enough to prevent any yuckies from getting into that little hole. (Insert nasty jokes here)

Back