Airlock activity stopped

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcod

Reaction score
Hi all,
I brewed a Midwest Supplies Happy Holiday Ale extract kit with s.g of 1.062-1.066. I double pitched yeast on advice of Midwest's help line. It went like mad for 3 days and now no activity in airlock. No... I didn't take a reading when I put it in the fermenter.(don't ask:)) Anyway, I would think it would not be done yet.(airlock activity) I know it could have used up all the sugar or the alcohol got to high for the yeast. But it seems a little fast...maybe I am wrong. Any suggestions? Should I just let it go and test it after 2 weeks in primary and see where it is at? Would not think it is "stuck" due to the high activity for 3 days. I just started brewing again after a 12 year break and I am a little rusty. Thanks alot!

Check the gravity after two weeks... I would taste the sample to see where it's at too. IF it tastes right, then it's done/ready for bottle/keg. If not, give it another week or four... If the instructions include racking to secondary, without adding additional flavor elements that actually do best off the yeast, leave it where it is for the duration.

3 days is perfectly normal for an ale. Most of mine finish in 2-6 days. I wouldnt expect any problems, just leave it for at least another week to clean up and clear

Thanks for the input!
It was dry yeast and I know they can really finish fast. I will just leave it alone and check the gravity at the end of the 2 weeks and see what it looks like. Thanks again!

Back