Air Lock popped off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finlayj

Reaction score
The air lock popped off my secondary at some point in time since I racked it on Thursday.

I have no idea how long it has been off. Fermantation was done, so I'm assuming the stopper may have been too wet and just popped off.

Either way, I can't tell if it's been infected of not. I keep it in a closed closet.

I'm going to continue with it, and keg in a few weeks. My question is; how do I know if it's ok or not?

Thanks in advance

Watch for a pellicle or other signs. In a few days taste to see if there are any changes in flavor.

You're at an advantage since you're kegging it. I would keg it now, and get it into your fridge. That way, if there IS a problem, the cold will slow it down to a crawl. But on another note, I've found doing my secondary's in the cold helps the flavors meld better, and help with clarity.

You'll know if there's a problem when you taste it. It will smack you in the tastebuds!

Back