Air Lock overflow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barleyfarm

Reaction score
2 hours after throwing my beer and mead (I made two different batches in two different containers of two different alcoholic types, i know) into their carboys and put an airlock one, both airlocks began to push liquids out of the top of the airlocks! After about 4 hours, the spewing subsided, but now the airlock are filled with the water/beer from inside the containers. What should I do!

Clean them out, sanitize them again, then put 'em both back in place. That's short term.

In longer term, do a few searches for blow off tubes around here, and put a couple of those together. Many of us on the boards use blow off tubes on nearly all our primaries to avoid exactly this sort of situation.

I would replace with an airlock. There is a lot of posts on here about airlocks, from the simple to the complex. I had a airlock blow once, now I always a blow off.

heres the thing, its not clogged or erupting anymore, its just filled with water and in the other case beer now.

Clean out the one that is filled with beer/yeast...it can get nasty over time.

Nothing, it will be fine for the few min it takes to clean out the airlock. Next time you in the area of your LHBS pick up some more, they are cheep. I have gotten in the habbit of buying one or two every time I go in.

Latest posts

Back