air lock blown out several time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Brewed my first batch of ale last night this morning it was foaming out of the air lock the kit had a long tube in it so I sanitized it and put it in the carboy and put the air lock in the end of it.Today while iI was at work it blew out several time and my wife put it back in the the tube with out cleaning it. I understand what it is for now and have it in a bucket of water,I've lost about 3 inches of brew out of the carboy, is this still good or should I dump it.

It's fine, I always start with a blow off tube into a jar of starsan, saves the mess. When the brew is fermenting, it's pushing out carbon dioxide, and there is low chance of infection. Continue on with the brew, keep the temperature under control. Soon you will have beer you made:)

I would also keep it!

In the future, monitor the temp of your brew and cool it if it's getting too warm (fermenting beer generates heat).

You could chill the unfermented wort more or move the fermenting beer to a cooler area.

:mug:

I did move this to basement it was upstairs (not going to do that again)It was at 72 degrees f now at at 66 degrees F

Temperature is one of the most important things throughout the entire brewing, kegging or bottling and serving process. In my opinion it is second only to sanitation.

It can take as little as 10 degrees to turn a great beer to an OK beer or even a bad beer.

66F is a far better temp to ferment ales at. Keep it there until it hits FG. Then give it another 3-7 days to clean up by-products of fermentation & settle out clear or slightly misty before bulk priming & bottling.

Back