Air bubble in glass carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Synack

Reaction score
Was just checking out my ESB batch in my new 5 gallon carboy. I didn't notice when I bought it, but there is an air bubble sandwiched in the glass. It's about a half by one eighth inch oval shape.

Should I be worried about it? Would one trapped bubble be normal?

I saw another thread on here talking about this being normal in older, blown glass carboys. This one was new in the box, made in Italy, if it makes a difference.

As long as you don't heat or massively cool the carboy directly (i.e. pour boiling hot wort into it, not that you ever should) you should be just fine. Lager temperatures will be safe as well. The bubble would be the first point of weakness if it was treated thermally as such, but at room temp you're OK.

Some of mine have bubbles in them too. I haven't worried much about it.

Come to think of it, I DID have one carboy with a small air bubble in it spontaneously shatter on me. What a mess. I threw it about 4 feet through the air and it landed on a concrete floor, then spontaneously shattered!

Sorry to bump my own post.

Bottled that batch over the weekend, washed out the carboy and brought it back to the LHBS; They were very cool and swapped it out without any problems. (And I ended up buying stuff in the process ;-).

--I'm sure it probably would have been fine, I just kept getting thoughts of exploding glass...

-Thanks

Back