AIO Warranties

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave77

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been back and forth on Brewzilla Gen 4 VS Grainfather G30. I was about to pull the trigger on the Brewzilla (mostly based on cost), but then noticed it only has a 1yr parts-only warranty from the distributor (not Kegland). On the other hand, from what I can tell the Grainfather has a 3yr manufacturers warranty.

So, is the extra price of the Grainfather worth it for the warranty? For those of you using All-In-Ones, are break downs something I should worry about, or are they pretty reliable?

Thanks in advance...

I just bought one. They all cost roughly $1k, right?

A car costs $50k. A house is $1M now. Raising a kid is about $1B if you include college.

I'd say don't worry about the warranty on the brewing bucket - just get the one you like best. That's me though.

Well, the price difference in my neck of the woods is about $400. But, you're right - I guess it's not a huge purchase and shouldn't worry too much about it, but, I'm also a bit curious as to why the Brewzilla doesn't offer much of a warranty.

Well, the price difference in my neck of the woods is about $400. But, you're right - I guess it's not a huge purchase and shouldn't worry too much about it, but, I'm also a bit curious as to why the Brewzilla doesn't offer much of a warranty.
It seems to me that most of the problems with the AIO systems tend to show up right out of the gate as manufacturing defects. Once you have gotten a few brews in without any issues they tend to be pretty reliable for the long haul.

That being said I have both the Brewzilla and the Grainfather and they are surprisingly different systems with very different pluses and minuses. I have a lot of Kegland products and everything about their stuff feels cheep and flimsy including the BZ, the GF feels like a solid premium price of gear. That might not be a big deal for you and I’m glad that someone is making inexpensive brewing gear but it’s like using cheap tools, when it’s something you use often it’s nice to have a tool that feels well made.
I have a long post in the Brewzilla G4 thread about the other issues and technical glitches with that system but don’t underestimate how much the center drain changes the process, (no whirlpool and more clogs etc).

Have you looked for a used Grainfather? In my area they’re plenty for sale and usually cost less than a new Brewzilla.

A car costs $50k. A house is $1M now. Raising a kid is about $1B if you include college.
Raising a kid is like buying a mansion and a fleet of fancy cars, except you don't get to live in the mansion or drive the cars. And when it's all finally paid off the bank repossesses everything anyway.

It seems to me that most of the problems with the AIO systems tend to show up right out of the gate as manufacturing defects. Once you have gotten a few brews in without any issues they tend to be pretty reliable for the long haul.

That being said I have both the Brewzilla and the Grainfather and they are surprisingly different systems with very different pluses and minuses. I have a lot of Kegland products and everything about their stuff feels cheep and flimsy including the BZ, the GF feels like a solid premium price of gear. That might not be a big deal for you and I’m glad that someone is making inexpensive brewing gear but it’s like using cheap tools, when it’s something you use often it’s nice to have a tool that feels well made.
I have a long post in the Brewzilla G4 thread about the other issues and technical glitches with that system but don’t underestimate how much the center drain changes the process, (no whirlpool and more clogs etc).

Have you looked for a used Grainfather? In my area they’re plenty for sale and usually cost less than a new Brewzilla.
Yes, I have looked at the Grainfather. It's been a back-and-forth call on which system to buy, but I was leaning Brewzilla because I wasn't sure if the extra $300 for the Grainfather was worth it. But, from someone who uses both, your post is very helpful. Thank you. I may reconsider, because like you I like the idea of knowing I have a 'quality tool' at my disposal, especially since I want to use this thing longterm.

@Whisky River - I did go back and read your post on the G4 - thanks for that. I think you have me changing my mind and now leaning toward the Grainfather. I see it is on sale at my local hombebrew shop. Tempting....

I was about to pull the trigger on the Brewzilla (mostly based on cost), but then noticed it only has a 1yr parts-only warranty from the distributor (not Kegland).
That distributor warranty in Canada is worthless. When my BZ melted itself, I got zero support and was on my own to repair it. If you buy through a LHBS, they might care enough to make things right, but unfortunately my local shop got out of the homebrew business just before I decided to buy.

That distributor warranty in Canada is worthless. When my BZ melted itself, I got zero support and was on my own to repair it. If you buy through a LHBS, they might care enough to make things right, but unfortunately my local shop got out of the homebrew business just before I decided to buy.
Thanks, very helpful comment. I'm leaning more and more toward the Grainfather I think...

I'm also a bit curious as to why the Brewzilla doesn't offer much of a warranty.
Maybe they don't trust a bunch of drunks to look after their stuff?

3 years is pretty good for the grainfather. I do like mine but there are lots of reports of controllers burning out from 110V users.

Just an idiot musing, but What If Craftsman had made brewing equipment.
Think About It GIF by louis16art

I was an early Grainfather user when the heating elements and controllers would die. Grainfather replaced my whole unit 3 or 4 times until they completely fixed the issue. Then I sold it in 2021 and bought a Clawhammer system since it is modular and I could replace parts as needed.

I still recommend the Grainfather as it seems like a lot of the bugs have been worked out over the years, and customer service was always fantastic when I had an issue. If you're sold on it, I say go for it and if the customer service is still as good as they used to be, they'll take care of you.

Back