AHS Saint Arnold Weedwacker Clone on deck

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hellosluggo

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just ran by Austin Homebrew and picked up the Saint Arnold Weedwacker clone extract kit. Anyone tried this one before? I have the Cooper's Irish Stout all bottled and put away, so I wanted to do something my wife would be interested in as well.

I didn't bother asking about the yeast fuel or alcohol boost options, mainly 'cos I was too distracted by all the cool toys ;) but I wanted to toss the question out here for anyone who may have tried this recipe before—anything you guys might tweak for whatever reason? Obviously, I don't want to do anything to compromise the "clone-ness" of it, but, ya know... Just curious what kind of creativity y'all might come up with.

AHS_Weedwacker.jpg

Kit predicted OG of 1.045... Would I be wrong to call this 1.044 or so? Either way, close enough, I'd say.

Then a couple of shots of the primary all packed away in the BrewCloset®.

532500_10151022510940813_362518302_n.jpg

528106_10151022513345813_927394131_n.jpg

522045_10151022514865813_1983306433_n.jpg

Hellosluggo said:
Kit predicted OG of 1.045... Would I be wrong to call this 1.044 or so? Either, close enough, I'd say.

Nice pics. Keep us posted on the beer.

Hellosluggo said:
Kit predicted OG of 1.045... Would I be wrong to call this 1.044 or so? Either, close enough, I'd say.

I see we use the same bucket, where are your ice bottles?

Those cheap plastic rope handle tubs (about $8 at Target) are great! Just don't get the cheaper ones—they're thinner and break really easily. I crank up the icemaker the day before and save what I get in plastic bags... After sanitizing the primary, I put a small brick in the bottom of one to sit the pot on, pour the Star San solution in, put a bunch of ice in and let the water get nice and cold for a few minutes, then set the hot brewpot down in it and dump more ice around it. Gets everything down to 80 degrees within about 15 minutes or so, easy sleazy.

Hellosluggo said:
Those cheap plastic rope handle tubs (about $8 at Target) are great! Just don't get the cheaper ones—they're thinner and break really easily. I crank up the icemaker the day before and save what I get in plastic bags... After sanitizing the primary, I put a small brick in the bottom of one to sit the pot on, pour the Star San solution in, put a bunch of ice in and let the water get nice and cold for a few minutes, then set the hot brewpot down in it and dump more ice around it. Gets everything down to 80 degrees within about 15 minutes or so, easy sleazy.

I got a plate chiller for the Wort. I also do full volume boils. Great for Texas heat.

I was planning on racking to secondary this Sunday, primarily to stick with the recipe and to clear things up before bottling in another week or two, but it appears I've pretty much hit the kit's predicted FG of 1.010 after only 4 days in primary. I'll probably go thru with the plan, but as always, I'm just curious what route you guys would take at this time.

IMG_0805.jpg

Nice pictures! Thanks for sharing them.

I'd now go by looking at the beer when deciding when to bottle. Once it starts to clear, the beer will get darker looking (since much more yeast will drop out). It'll look pretty dark for a light colored beer- then it's time to bottle.

I like that beer when it's hot, so I think you (and your wife) will really enjoy it!

I'm probably sticking pretty much to the 1-2-3 rule by now, so unless something alarming happens, I'll be bottling two weeks from today, then putting some in the fridge 3 weeks after that to stand for at least a couple of days... Just in time for the heat to be cranked to 11, as they say.

All bottled... Tasted a sample toward the end of the line, seems to be right on track. We'll refrigerate a few in about three weeks and see how it turns out. Meanwhile, here's some photos of today's activities... Oh, and had my first broken bottle while capping, too <<crunch>>.

IMG_0917.jpg

IMG_0921.jpg

IMG_0926.jpg

IMG_0924.jpg

Hellosluggo said:
All bottled... Tasted a sample toward then of the line, seems to be right on track. We'll refrigerate a few in about three weeks and see how it turn out. Meanwhile, here's some photos of today's activities... Oh, and had my first broken bottle while capping, too <<crunch>>.

What did you do to that bottle?

I think the cap got a slight bit crooked as I was putting the pressure on, so I basically crushed it. Then I drank the green beer straight outta the broken bottle as penance and laughed aloud as blood oozed from my gaping maw.

Not really...

But it was odd that it happened right after I was thinking to myself, "I wonder if anyone's ever broken a bottle whole capping..."

After 4 days, you have hit gravity, and made beer. Another week in primary will give the yeast time to "clean up" after themselves and make much better tasting beer. I suggest leaving the beer in primary for 10-14 days, then transfer to secondary for clearing for 3-7 days, then bottling. It takes a little longer, but the beer comes out better that way, in my opinion.

Just _slightly_ off topic but has anyone used this kit with a kolsch yeast for a successful Fancy Lawnmower?
If not I might try it in a few weeks...

Back