AHS Oktoberfest Sale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerdad

Reaction score
From their website-

The annual Austin Homebrew OKTOBERFEST SALE will be this Saturday, October 20. The ON-LINE SALE will begin at 12 Midnight CDT and end 24 hours later at 12 Midnight CDT. The IN-STORE SALE will begin at 10:00 AM and end at 6:00 PM. There will be many items at special featured prices and EVERYTHING IN THE STORE WILL BE 10% OFF. And during the sale, all of the featured items will be 10% off of their featured price. The 10% discount will be automatically deducted from your order at checkout. No special coupons are required. Just order a lot of stuff. Remember, only orders placed between Midnight Central Time and Midnight Central Time this Saturday, October 20 will be eligible for the 10% discount.

That's a great sale. Too bad I'm moving and have to buy furniture. I probably won't have much money to spend :(

Remember to check back the following week where everyone that orders complains their order didn't ship first thing Monday......

;)

I too got their email....wonder if I'm going to order anything.......hmmmmmmmmmm, decisions, I wish they would post what's going to be on uber-sale ahead of time

I just saw the email as well. And I went to their site.

Did anyone else notice their shipping rates increased to $6.99?

Maybe this isn't new news, but it is to me.

-Andy

brewt00l said:
Remember to check back the following week where everyone that orders complains their order didn't ship first thing Monday..

Ain't that the truth. I get people who order at 7pm on a Friday and are pissed off that their order didn't ship on Friday AND arrive on Monday.

That's a good sale. People are just a little too impatient sometimes and get spoiled easily when they actually encounter 'good' customer service. 48 hour turn around time on an online order is exceptional.

Every time I've order from AHS it's been less than 24. If you complain about that, then you just need to have a few more home brews!

I'm planning on placing an order, but I doin't expect to receive it for *at least* 7-10 days. They are going to get thousands of orders. It's not realistic to expect to receive ahs oktoberfest orders within the same timeframe that you normally receive orders from them.

This is the first I heard that they upped their shipping, but it's still a heck of a deal if you ask me.

I agree with OH Brewtus. That's why I might just cruise up there this weekend. No sense in waiting a week when I'm just an hour away. One hour is worth the savings plus the entertainment and brew samples. :rockin:

ohiobrewtus said:
This is the first I heard that they upped their shipping, but it's still a heck of a deal if you ask me.

Take it from an internet shipper. It's a deal. We average $7.24/pkg excluding package costs and handling.

Tragically I just got a large order about 2 weeks ago. ... I guess this means I'll just have to get a backup for everything ;)

pldoolittle said:
Take it from an internet shipper. It's a deal. We average $7.24/pkg excluding package costs and handling.

Our average is $15 per package excluding packaging costs and handling. It is a great deal.

Hehe I'm racking my brain to think of things I need, and actually have money for...

I agree that the fixed shipping is very nice, but I have noticed that AHS tends to have slightly higher prices on a lot of things, too. No matter where you order from, in the end the customer pays for the shipping. But a flat rate does make mentally totaling up the bill easier :D.

The customer is not really paying for the shipping. This is a myth. Today we sent a beginners equipment kit and 2 recipe kits to Utah. We charged $6.99 shipping and the shipping (3 boxes) came to $47.56. I think we actually lost money on the order. We certainly did not make up for the shipping. There doesn't have to be a "Catch". We can't possibly have the lowest price on everything but if you compare the total delivered price on several items at once, we should have the lowest delivered price.

Keep in mind that in the last month hops have double or trippled in cost and grain is going up 25-100%. A couple of grains have doubled in cost overnight. We sell large volumes of supplies so we are effected by the increases instantly. The small shops either havent noticed the increases or they are selling the old stock first at the old price. A lot of little stores will go out of business real soon because they are not paying attention. I just saw a website selling Cascade hops on sale for $6.99 a pound. They must not realise that Cascade will not be available soon and if you are lucky to get some the new cost (what the store pays) is $12 a pound.

Forrest

AHS is a great store. Their prices are right in line with most LHBSs (and often cheaper). Plus, they carry everything, and $7 shipping is a steal for me, since I have to drive 3+ hrs round trip to get to a brew shop! I've also been there a few times, and the store is very nice and the guys there have always been really friendly.

I placed an order about 1 am this morning. I wanted my order near the top of their stack since they were having a sale. ;) Another brewer friend of mine and I are teaching 3 buddies how to brew next week. We're making 20 gals (10 AG, 10 extract) so this was a perfect time for a sale for us - saved $13 on the order!

If you are planning on ordering some high-dollar item, today would be the day.

there arnt too many specials for the online sale...nothing that hasnt been there for the past few weeks anyway

musikguru6 said:
there arnt too many specials for the online sale...nothing that hasnt been there for the past few weeks anyway

Yeah I noticed that, granted I won't complain since everything is 10% off! But I got the impression they'd have some other 'featured' sale items, maybe that was just in-store only.

Although I think this would be a great time to grab a couple of the Select LE 2008 series wine kits for next year. Those things come out to about $3 a bottle, but with care and aging they taste like a $15-$20 bottle.

Austinhomebrew said:
The customer is not really paying for the shipping. This is a myth. Today we sent a beginners equipment kit and 2 recipe kits to Utah. We charged $6.99 shipping and the shipping (3 boxes) came to $47.56. I think we actually lost money on the order. We certainly did not make up for the shipping. There doesn't have to be a "Catch". We can't possibly have the lowest price on everything but if you compare the total delivered price on several items at once, we should have the lowest delivered price.

Keep in mind that in the last month hops have double or trippled in cost and grain is going up 25-100%. A couple of grains have doubled in cost overnight. We sell large volumes of supplies so we are effected by the increases instantly. The small shops either havent noticed the increases or they are selling the old stock first at the old price. A lot of little stores will go out of business real soon because they are not paying attention. I just saw a website selling Cascade hops on sale for $6.99 a pound. They must not realise that Cascade will not be available soon and if you are lucky to get some the new cost (what the store pays) is $12 a pound.

Forrest

Then my good sir, you are an exception amongst business owners! I do hope that the recipients of those packages continue to receive your business, as you have certainly tried hard to earn it. I did not mean to imply that there was a catch, merely that most business owners will, of necessity, try to at least cover their costs on any given order. Some give free shipping, but higher prices; others have lower prices but charge exact shipping, etc. I am frankly surprised but pleased so see a business owner honor their prices and even lose money to gain new customers/ keep old ones happy, as you have.

When I put together my brew equipment a few months ago, however, I'm sorry to say AHS was not the cheapest, or even second cheapest, delivered price for me :(. Both Morebeer and midwest came in at about $20 cheaper delivered than AHS on a sub $200 order. Now believe me, I tried to convince myself to spend that extra $20, but to a starving college student like myself, I just couldn't justify it (that's like 4 days of food!). If then was now, your sale prices would certainly be on par or better than the others', and I've heard so many good things about your customer service, that I would order from you in a heartbeat.

I wish you continued good luck and business!

I wouldn't expect you to spend more just because. You should buy from the place that gives you the best deal.

just placed my order. $20 for the black ale extract kit is already a good deal. had to throw another carboy in to make the shipping seem cheaper.

Jim Karr said:
:off: Forrest, please elaborate on "Hop Suey Hops". After I placed today's order, I came across this item.

There are always hops left over when you bag up hops. We blend what is left. It is a blend of fresh but leftover hops.

Back