AHS/Midwest Processing Times

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But, my original issue was not with shipping times but with processing times.

It was a whole day longer than is stated on their site, that's a huge problem for you?

Flat Rate - Ships Out Soon, Delivered in 2 - 8 Business Days*
Your order is ready for shipping in 2 - 4 business days. Delivery time takes 1 - 5 business days depending on your location. During sales and periods of increased order volume, this shipping method may take longer. Flat rate shipping is only available within the 48 contiguous states. If you need your order sooner, please chose another shipping option.

-

I have a pending order with AHS right now that's waiting to be processed for it's 5th day. Not complaining though. Right there on the site when you choose the $7.99 option it says something like 2-8 days. Then right after that, it mentions that during sales these times may be longer. Would I prefer my orders be processed and shipped within a day or two? Sure! Did I agree to the longer times though by choosing the option I did? Absolutely.

*edit* and WW450 posted the direct wording above me in his edit*

I've never had much of a wait with either of those. Lately I've been using brewmasterswarehouse because they're closer to me and almost always ship out the next day.

I have hired 4 extra full time people and have extra employees working because of the sale and we are receiving 3 times the normal amount of orders. We are giving these kits away below cost for as long as I can. Below cost and free shipping. Sorry for the delay, we are peddling as fast as we can. Thanks for your patience.

We put your kits together as they are ordered to assure the ultimate freshness. Most stores including the big ones have kits sitting on shelves at room temp with grains milled waiting for someone to order the kit. Quality takes time.

Forrest

Just read this post and wanted to say thank you. I personally ordered a few of these kits and just brewed my first one last weekend. This is a great deal and I can tell you care about the quality of your product. Due to this and your service will definitely order from your site again with or without the current sale.

It was a whole day longer than is stated on their site, that's a huge problem for you? -

If you read my posts, I'm planning to order from AHS again. So, no. It's not a huge problem.

But, in general, when I hear quotes of processing times like those on AHS I usually assume (yes I know the expression) that the stated time is generally going to be closer to the low-end. And, in my experience with ordering things online (I get packages of all sorts of things multiple times a week from interenet sites), this is definitely the case.

So the reason for my post was to find out if others had a similar experience. If everyone had a similar experience all the time with AHS, then I would find somewhere else to order.

But this is not the case. And so, no worries from me.

The solution to the problem is obvious, just move to Minneapolis and you can go visit both Midwest and Northern Brewer within the space of an hour.

Both Midwest and AHS have had my orders processed and shipped pretty fast (2 days), even large ones (more than $100), however shipping from Midwest is about 2 days faster because of my location. I'm very pleased with Midwest! My last order, they included a plastic jug made especially to ferment beer/wine for free. I found out only when I opened the package! It was a nice surprise!

Darn, I didn't pay attention to the sale when I ordered last Friday. I was planning to brew this coming Monday because I normally get my orders from AHS in under a week. This one hasn't even shipped yet.

4 days and counting and my order from AHS still hasn't shipped. Aren't there temp agencies AHS could use for the time being to help with the extra volume?

Ordered two anniversary kits from on 3/27 and still no confirmation that it's shipping (going on 5 days processing). But you know for 20 bucks you can't kill them, I imagine putting all these kits together takes time especially for those of us who need the grain milled. Just glad I didn't buy yeast as I wouldn't be confident it would be packed last. I think I will pay extra and get my yeast from my LHBS.

Ordered two anniversary kits from on 3/27 and still no confirmation that it's shipping (going on 5 days processing). But you know for 20 bucks you can't kill them, I imagine putting all these kits together takes time especially for those of us who need the grain milled. Just glad I didn't buy yeast as I wouldn't be confident it would be packed last. I think I will pay extra and get my yeast from my LHBS.

We always make the recipes fresh including the yeast. We order and sell about 1500 liquid yeasts a week. Always fresh.

Forrest

I was banking on the free shipping, maybe I was spoiled from the first time I ordered on a Monday and got the order by Friday. I may have to cancel my order and head to the LHBS.

Austinhomebrew said:
We always make the recipes fresh including the yeast. We order and sell about 1500 liquid yeasts a week. Always fresh.

Forrest

Forrest my post didn't mean to imply the yeast wouldn't be fresh or wasn't fresh. I had one bad experience with a white labs San Fran lager yeast from you guys that was dead (when i attempted a starter it never took) coupled with a long time between order and delivery and I might have taken that to be the rule rather than the exception. You guys do a great job and I enjoy your offerings and the customer service. You posting here is an example of keeping tabs on our customers and I think that's great. Thanks again or offering up the anniversary kits and happy anniversary.

I just ordered from AHS on Monday. I didn't order a kit, just some uncrushed grain, some Wyeast and some equipment. It's still in processing....kind of thought it would ship by today...I'm next day away delivery in Louisiana.I was hoping to use the items this weekend. disappointing.... My local (60 miles away) guy is usually my source but there was an item he didn't stock so I thought, what the heck...surely an order on Monday would arrive by Friday.....longest of anyone I've used. I can understand the kit delays and manpower shortage but ..... guess I'll change my brew recipe for Sunday. Dang it.

I saw Midwest was also listed on the post, so I figured I'd give my recent experience with them.

I just ordered from Midwest Supplies on the 26th and it arrived today (31st). The 26th was a Sat. and 27th was a Sun. so that's a pretty good turn-around. For those of you interested there was a guy on the live chat from the website and he told me they just got in hop rhizomes tonight and will be shipping them in the morning and all throughout the weekend.

I have ordered from Austin, Midwest and Northern. Northern Brewer is the only one I had bad experience. Midwest I have not ordered from in a long time, never had a problem. I usually order from Austin now. I like their option of adding certain ingredients to different bags. I have not tried Brewmasters yet, I have been meaning to.

Shipping times, Midwest and Austin are pretty similar in time it takes. It seems like being in Ohio, everything gets here in the same amount of time no matter where it comes from.

We are averaging 190 anniversary kits a day and over 4,000 anniversary kits so far in the last 21 days. Over 500 pounds of hops so far

This week alone we poured over 4 1/2 tons of liquid malt extract and milled over 6 tons of grain.

Sorry for the delay but we did not anticpate this kind of volume. I have doubled the shipping staff and we are working on orders 24 hours a day.

Thanks for all of your orders. We appreciate your business and patience.

Forrest

This was just counting the anniversary kits. Many people ordered other kits and lots of other merchandise. We are recieving 3 1/2 days worth of orders a day. We had to end the sale so we can get caught up. Who knows maybe I can run it again once we get caught up.

Forrest

I get everything locally at Rebel Brewer and I have watched guys come into the store and order a kit. I then watched the employees go to the back and proceed to put the kit together, even to the point where they printed off the instructions right in-front of me. I have to give a thumbs up to the guys at Rebel for providing fresh stuff each and every time. They also have good shipping times all across the country. I will be visiting them today to put a new pot!

I get everything locally at Rebel Brewer and I have watched guys come into the store and order a kit. I then watched the employees go to the back and proceed to put the kit together, even to the point where they printed off the instructions right in-front of me. I have to give a thumbs up to the guys at Rebel for providing fresh stuff each and every time. They also have good shipping times all across the country. I will be visiting them today to put a new pot!

Good to hear you are being taking care of. I know some large stores put together or buy kits made way in advance.

Forrest

I just ordered a couple of items from AHS (it was the only place stocking aerator stone kits). I placed my order on Sunday and still haven't heard anything as of Friday. At this rate it will be a solid two weeks until I get my stuff (located here in DC-far). I normally order through Brewmaster's Warehouse and they are OUTSTANDING. I-95 moves slow, but it moves.

I appreciate the extra help and volume of merchandise being sold. But it never hurts to put up a "hey we are being slammed right now" notice on your website or just send out an email to those hanging out on the end of the shipping list.

Good news on the midwest rhizomes... Sadly, it's snowing 15" here today. I wish it was an April fools joke.

I typically order for AHS on Friday ( pay day, LOL ) and get it the next Friday - I like that flow.

Wish I could take advantage of the $20 kits - I'd buy one of each if I could - but money got real damn tight around here last month - so I'm scratching out brews from my bulk bags right now. ( At least I still have about 40 lbs each of 2 row, 6 row and MO right now...but the hop supply is hitting critical levels..... )

ok, received 3 kits from AHS this past week....how long does the LME in the buckets last for at room temp? ~75 degrees? should I put these in the fridge?

Back