AHS Dry Stout problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redbenn

Reaction score
We brewed a Dry Stout last week, in the same order from Austin Homebrew we had a Dreadnaught Clone... they put the Light DME in the Stout package, which we thought was weird, but the instructions said to put all the sugars included in the boil. Well, we had crazy fermentation for a few days (needed a blowoff), now bubbles have stopped. I know its not going to be what we thought, our OG was 1.062, but our hydrometer broke during the process we thought that was the problem. We took a gravity reading and it was now at 1.018, should we repitch yeast to try to save something?

Thanks!

:mug:Just let it ferment for a few more days. Fermentations are always different, sometimes they just go crazy for a few days and other times they plod along for days. I always let mine ferment for at least 10 days in primary and then bulk condition for a few more days. Light extract is used for most every style except wheat beers if you want. People use the dark grains for the color.:mug:

It's at 71% attenuation and stouts have high levels of unfermentables. Sounds nominal.

I've got an AHS Dry Stout in my fermenter also. It started at 1.054 and after 10 days it is at 1.018. I guess it is just going to finish high. I have been wondering if doing a full 5 gallon boil will make an extract wort more fermentable.

I have been wondering if doing a full 5 gallon boil will make an extract wort more fermentable.

No, caramelizing the wort during the boil can make it less fermentable, but otherwise the fermentability of extract is fixed.

Back