Ahh 1 lb torrified wheat help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam78K

Reaction score
Brewing tastys Janet brown tommorow and somehow I milled in 1 lb of torrified wheat instead of white wheat with the rest of my grains. Can I het by or should I rebut the grains? thanks everyone

Well, I don't think torrified wheat has any diastatic power, but assuming you've got some pale malt or something in your mash it should still work out. The torrified might add a few more proteins than the regular wheat and make your beer a little cloudier, but if you don't mind that then I say go for it! Not sure what the potential is for torrified vs. white wheat, but if you're worried you could always grind the other wheat and throw it in as well. It'll still be tasty beer, and you might wind up liking it more!

Torrified wheat is used the same as unmalted wheat. So, as long as you can get it converted it should be one to one.

That won't cause any problems that I can foresee. Carry on.

Also, torrefied wheat is not the same as unmalted wheat. The process of torrefication heats the grain and gelatinizes the starch. Hence, the sugars are ready to use.

Thanks everyone, I'll just go about as usual in a mash. Have 11lbs of marris otter in the recipe so should be able to convert the wheat malt.

Latest posts

Back