AHA Surly Wort Rally

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jplowe

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/events/surly-brewing-co-aha-rally/

Anybody going to the Surly Wort Rally July 19? For $5.99 you can take home 5 gallons of wort, a glass and a tour. I'm pretty excited but am wondering if i need to grab yeast before i go or if they will provide or recommend specific yeast for that beer. Furious or Over-rated would be awesome to bring home. Since i'm bringing the fiance and we both paid for the wort rally, i just might get both if available.

That's awesome. Any more details? They mash, boil, hop, chill, and give you wort ready to ferment? What's the base style and is it wort for one of their commercial beers? Tempted to join AHA for this and the NB discount.

Don't know they style, might be something special that will be only at the taproom.

But yes, they give you 5 gal ready to pitch, you can use whatever yeast you want, or other additions (dry hop, sugars, oak, on and on)

Just pulled the trigger on becoming an AHA member (been meaning to at some point) so I could do this.

I'm in the 5 o'clock group.

I am excited for this; need to get some $ together for an AHA membership so I can pick this up. Wish we knew ahead of time what the style is gonna be so I can choose a yeast and pick it up ahead of time...

I'm in the 4pm group with my fiance.

The email sent out said the wort would be the following:

· Pale Lacto-kettle soured wort

· Brewed with Simpsons Golden Promise & aromatic malts

· Minimal bitterness

· Boiled & oxygenated for your experimental homebrew pleasure

· Target OG: 13° P (~1.053 OG)

· pH: 3.2

What yeast is everyone thinking about? Is this the right wort for a berliner weisse? I'll have to read up on what to pitch. I think maybe US05 or nottingham for one and something wacky for the other. 2 since both my fiance and I are bringing buckets. Go us!

I think I'm going with US05. My buddy and I are both taking cornies, figure that'll be easiest to transport it in

I'm down for the 2pm group too! Cannot wait!! Don't have a corny unfortunately so I'm bringing either a better bottle or a bucket.

awesome. it seems its up on the aha surly rally info page as well now. As for yeast, I'm thinking i might throw in a good brett strain. Cant find WLP644 anywhere to save my life. any recommendations?

Saw that, not real happy since I don't like sours.
I'll just have a bucket - thinking of growing up a big pitch of 028 and maybe adding mint or dry-hopping

Who is up for an HBT meet up there? I have yet to meet anyone from here, I think it would be fun.

If you don't like sours, what I would do is brew up a good Weiss, ferment both with German wheat yeast or Brett, and blend them. If you like fruit you could add that too. Just an idea

I am in the 4:00 group also, I have no idea what I am going to do with this one yet, might split into two 2.5 gal batches. I haven't done any sours so currently racking my brain on what to do with it exactly.

The wife and I will each get 5 gallons. Never done sours before. Thought I'd try a Flanders Brown (pale in this case) with WLP665 and a brett saison with WLP 670. Maybe add fruit to one or both (peach or cherry). Who knows!

We're in the 5pm group. Would love to see a few HBT faces there. Anyone bringing homebrew? This is my first Rally.

Anyone want to go for a bike ride first? And/or mini pub crawl?

I'm in town visiting relatives and will be attending (since I have to travel, I decided not to get wort).

Thinking I'm gonna use a saison yeast and add some simple sugar.

Anybody have any fruit suggestions? Leaning towards raspberry right now. My thought being the darker fruit flavors will balance with the tart better. But maybe something like lemongrass would be good too. Looking for inspiration.

Here is what they are giving away:
Wort Specifications

Pale Lacto-kettle soured wort
Brewed with Simpsons Golden Promise & aromatic malts
Minimal bitterness
Boiled & oxygenated for your experimental homebrew pleasure
Target OG: 13° P (~1.053 OG)
pH: 3.2

I'm going to use WY1007 the German Ale for a Berlien Weisse-ish deal.

Nice! I ordered the yeast bay funktown and their dry Belgian yeast. Really exited, but its not coming in the mail until mid next week. If I put wm in the form fridge and set it to 34 def F, it should be OK for a few days, right? Fingers

Really excited about the Belgian, might split that and try some fruit with it. Thinking plums or blackberry

I've decided i'd go with WLP644 and the fiance will do a US05 or simliar clean yeast. I can't wait to see what a few months and some raspberry will accomplish the brett.

It all starts at 2, I have to pick up my wife from work so we will be there at 5 for the pick up but you will want to be there right away for the swag.

Just got back from there and yeah there wasn't much for swag. Tshirts went within the first half hour, lots of stickers though and some damn good beer. Talking with the guy filling my keg he said you can basically throw any yeast at the wort you want but he recommended a simple ale yeast.

I showed up a little late in the game. Didn't see any HBT people there. I'm going to pitch ECY Bug County into my 5gal and see what happens. Will add some fruit along the way somewhere.

I volunteered from 1:30-4 so I didn't get to hang out much, but did end up pitching 028

I was told by one of the owners (Omar) to pitch Safale US-05 for a general yeast, Paul from Brew & Grow mentioned a Sasion, my wife is going to pitch that tomorrow, I pitched the 05 tonight with a spunding valve on the corny.

I was the guy with the burn scars on my face and arms, no beard (Jealous!) in case you were looking around. ;)

Since i live 3 hours away and don't have any refrigerators to keep the wort chilled until a starter could me made, i pitched what i had in the smack pack and vile after 3 hours of warming in the car. I ended up going with a 1007 German Ale and WLP650 brett. After reading online i found that the wlp650 isn't recommended as the sole fermenting entity in primary but eh i read that the mad fermentor did it and maybe mine will turn out. Ugh

Does anyone know what the FG is supposed to be? With the Ale yeast i can kind of figure wait two weeks and take a hydrometer reading but I know ball park if anyone asked while they were there. The Brett is going to be interesting to see how long pellicles take to form and actually do their magic.

My wife and I each got 5 gallons. We pitched WLP644 "Trois" and 670 Farmhouse blend with Brett.

OG was 1.051

Latest posts

Back