ah..crap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odorf

Guru of Nothing
Reaction score
my order is here
ec-1118
montrachet
yeast blend
acid blend
pectic enzyme
mesh bag

no damn camdon tabs !

my question is , Do i really need them?

If i stop the yeast process by cold crashing

then, when i froze the figs did i not do the same thing ?

Depends what you are fermenting...Campden tabs will kill wild yeasts and other bacteria with SO2. If you are fermenting commercially produced juice which has been UV or heat pasteurized then you don't need to worry about wild yeast. If you are fermenting honey then (IMO) you don't need to worry about wild yeasts (honey is a bactericide because its lack of water removes H2O from living cells (I believe).

If you are fermenting fruit or juice you have expressed from fruit there is a risk that there will be sufficient wild yeasts to compete with your cultured yeast -

If you freeze the fruit the cold will put any wild yeast into suspended animation - It doesn't kill them. It simply knocks them out. And when the fruit returns to room temperature the yeast will continue as if nothing happened. What you may be doing when you "cold crash" (wine ain't beer) is that you encourage the yeast to drop out of suspension. When the yeast have dropped to the bottom of the carboy or container AND then IF you rack the wine off the yeast there will be fewer (not none, but fewer) yeast in the racked wine. Add sugar and those yeast left will convert that sugar into CO2 and alcohol. It may take a while but they will. And the reason why it will take a while is because the colony will take time to reproduce - and that's what yeast do when they are not making CO2 and alcohol.

Cold crashing in wine making is a process to ensure that tartaric acid crystals will not form when you chill the wine... it has really nothing to do with the yeast.

If you hydrate the yeast using Go-Ferm, you can "grow" a yeast colony that is healthy and strong, then add some of the must, heated to 80° to the yeast after it has started to come alive and reproduce, you'll see the yeast start to foam like a cappuccino, add the warm must spoon by spoon, the yeast will use the sugars in the must as a food source and continue to grow and multiply, add it to the must as long as the must is room temp. Fermentation will take off at a good rate.

how I have been doing it, do not know if it is right.

in a mason jar, cup of sugar, hot water to melt sugar

let cool, but warm. add yeast. wait about 1/2 hour

let it get bubbly/thick pour it in the jug

If understand what you're asking, you can put the fruit in a pot, bring it up to 170 for 10 minutes, and then use them as if they'd been soaked in campden

Back