agrisupply burner ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkellner29

Reaction score
Found this agri-supply burner.

Anyone use this before?

What about 170,000 btus good or bad?

IMAG0844.jpg

It has the same burner as my frier. Looks nice. The real BTU output is dependent on the regulator PSI. I think you need over 30 PSI for 170K BTU. 10 PSI will boil 12 gallons fine.

Hi

If you *really* got 170K BTU's, you would go through a normal tank of propane in no time at all. You also likely would have the tank ice up on you even in the middle of summer. 50K "real" BTU's is plenty for any normal (sub 30 gallon) setup.

Some math:

170K BTU's / 21,000 = 8 lb of propane an hour. A normal tank is 20 pounds. You would get about 2 1/2 hours on a tank.

20 gallons of water weigh 160 pounds. A BTU heats a pound of water one degree F. 170,000 BTU's would heat your kettle 1,000 degrees in an hour. Actually since boiling takes a lot more energy, that's not what would happen. You would get to boiling from room in under 10 minutes.

Bob

Thanks for the numbers, ended up buying the brinkman from hd, that's closer to 50,000 btu, 60.00 and it comes with an extra 30 qt pot. This should be plenty strong and I won't waste the gas in only a few batches.

Thanks again everyone

I use that burner with a lower psi regulator, a typical one, and it doesn't burn thru much gas. I have several 10g batches on it with one fill of gas and I haven't had to refill yet...

The cast iron burner is capable of 170K BTU but there is no way it comes with that high of pressure regulator. They sell a 30 PSI regulator and say it's only good for 145K BTU. But then that's only with it wide open. I only need 5-7 PSI to boil over 12 gallons. That's probably around 25K BTU. I get 10 or more batches out of my 40 pound propane tank.
http://www.agrisupply.com/High-Pressure-Adjustable-Regulator-Valve/p/64484/&sid=&eid=/

Hi

It's not at all uncommon to see crazy numbers on these burners. The furnace in your house likely is rated to 50K BTU. You simply don't need (or want) massive amounts of energy in your brew setup. It would create all sorts of problems if you did.

Bob

Latest posts

Back